Fluting

Having fluted, threaded, chambered and head spaced barrels myself, and having machine experience since '74, and being a 2yr gunsmith school grad (with 30+yrs experience 'smithing, now), I see it no easier to flute & time myself or to use a barrel already fluted by the barrel maker. The barrel has to be timed for proper flute location either way. Ain't no magic to it! Just simple math and machine skills...
The last time I sent a fluted barrel to a gunsmith, he told me that he threaded, chambered and installed the barrel. Then marked where the flutes would need to be. Then pull the barrel off and flute it. That was easier for him. And that was Jon Beanland. He told me to send an unfluted barrel next time. I guess what's considered easier may be something different for everyone.

The last time I sent a fluted barrel to a gunsmith, he told me that he threaded, chambered and installed the barrel. Then marked where the flutes would need to be. Then pull the barrel off and flute it. That was easier for him. And that was Jon Beanland. He told me to send an unfluted barrel next time. I guess what's considered easier may be something different for everyone.
That makes sense in helping to index the flutes while trying to run threads and head space all at the same time

I just had a proof ss fluted by LRI...
GS installed the barrel...marked center of barrel on bottom of receiver..removed barrel and sent to LRI.....did the max removal in fast helical twist.....about 3 week turnaround.....put it back onto receiver..in for cerakote....just about 150 rounds thru it...7 days to season opener......

I've had 3 fluted barrels installed by 3 different gunsmiths and none complained about timing it could have been because none had a CNC mill.
Not all gunsmiths have them there a pretty big chunk of change to buy.
None charged me anymore to install than there regular fee to chamber, thread and install than a unfluted barrel, the way I see it no different than installing a timed brake.
Only straight fluting needs to be timed anyway so that's to consider.

Question to you gunsmiths. I am thinking of ordering a barrel threaded, chambered and crowned from the barrel manufacture.. This barrel maker does not flute nor believes in fluting barrels. Question is should I have my gunsmith just flute and headspace or do Gunsmiths prefer to do the chambering and crown if they do the fluting? Yes I know I should just call my gunsmith and ask him but I feel like I bug him enough and just trying to have a heads up on this thinking process.
I'd go with a barrel manufacturer that does the fluting in house. Benchmark flutes their single point cut rifling barrels in the middle of the barrel making process before they cut the rifling.

OK guys, I give up!!!
Why does the barrel has to be timed for proper flute location ???
I've done many of my own barrels( I have fixtures ) .
Manly because of weight, cooling, and they look cool!!
I'm I missing something??

Apparently an unpopular opinion, but I'm with Shilen. Nothing I own or will ever own will have a fluted barrel. Don't care whether or not a fluted barrel will shoot, it is not as stiff as it was before it was fluted and the surface area gain is minimal. I "fluted" a barrel in SolidWorks just to see what the area gain was. I tried several different straight fluting patterns and the result was 7%-9% gain in surface area. Nowhere near enough to make the loss of stiffness worth it to me.

I do my own fluting with a router, and c-clamps. It's cost effective, and really, anyone can do it, so why spend the money?

60380d1349640575-barrel-fluting-fluting-fail-2.jpg