Flat base and boat tail

midmo

I have been doing some research on the two and I know the boat tail is better for stability long range. My question is do some rifles shoot one or the other better? I have way better luck with the flat based bullet but I didn't know if boat tails like to moving faster than the flat base.

The flat base bullet design is inherently more accurate. That's why the bench rest folks use them. For longer range shooting the boat tail bullet helps give you a higher ballistic coefficient so you don't loose as much velocity way down range.

It has always been my understanding that it is easier, from a manufacturers' standpoint, to make flat base bullets more consistent. In typical benchrest matches there is virtually no need for the ballistic advantage of a boattail bullet so flat based bullets appear to be preferred.
However, as manufacturing techniques get better, there may be no accuracy difference at some point. Maybe even today.

I understand the reason flat base bullets are more accurate at short/medium ranges is because the bullets are easier to manufacture with higher precision. But as already stated, they don't have the higher BC to help at longer ranges.

I've also heard (though it may be an old wives tale) that rifles with slight imperfections in the crown can adversely effect the boat tail bullets more. I think the thinking is the gasses will push the bullets with boat tails slightly off center as the bullet exits the barrel. Again, that may be a myth.

edit
sorry VH, you already said it.

The flat base bullet design is inherently more accurate. That's why the bench rest folks use them. For longer range shooting the boat tail bullet helps give you a higher ballistic coefficient so you don't loose as much velocity way down range.

I am 'benchrest folk' I shoot 600 yard mid-range benchrest I've never ever even seen one single flat base bullet on the line. Im not sure what verry short range shooters use. If thats what you mean. ??

It's not a myth. Flat base bullets do release cleaner. And since flat base bullets require lower stability factor and way less twist, they torque guns less. Of course they are typically lighter as well, and this contributes less recoil, and allows for shorter barrels with faster powders.
Clean release and faster powders work well in underbore cartridges to produce the ultimate work-around for a great number of internal ballistic variance. That work-around is very high peak pressures.
This makes flat base bullets easiest for precision(in the short range).

There are boat tail bullets of better quality than even famous custom FB bullets. Those lathe turned come to mind. They are for long range, and will never challenge FB bullets in the short range.

Remember this: it all begins with a bullet
You build your entire shooting system around a bullet. You don't usually swap back & forth between such an extreme as FB/BT bullets with a completed design. That said, I did so with a 223 in 14tw, which allows only 50gr bullets at sea level(where I'm at). I swapped from BTs to FBs and cut my grouping by 1/4 moa to 500yds. The biggest single improvement I've ever seen with a reloading adjustment.

I am 'benchrest folk' I shoot 600 yard mid-range benchrest I've never ever even seen one single flat base bullet on the line. Im not sure what verry short range shooters use. If thats what you mean. ??

The benchrest folks I talk to shoot the 100 and 200 yard distances.

Yes, at short range, flat base bullets are king. But you cannot generalize. Many competitive shooters are doing well with BT bullets. I shoot a 6ppc in groundhog matches from 100 to 400 yds. I just ordered Barts 68 gr. BT bullets to help me at 400+ yds. Anxious to get them and compare with the custom FB bullets I shoot now.

I use BIB'S 67.7 inmy Borden built 6 PPC with the longer 26 inch barrel...I see no problem with them even at 500 yards at groundhog matches, I've shot many 11/2 - 2 groups with them at 500 yards..at about 3400 fps

When fwd velocity starts to slow down and the slug might tumble...a BT base will tip and show its long angled surface to the "wind" and have MORE turning affect to get back to the proper profile going thru the air.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.