flat base vs bt

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by tango6, Jan 13, 2013.

1. tango6

tango6 Member

I have a very accurate load worked up for my 308 using Hornady 150 gr BTSP. I ordered 500 more and when I got them and started to load them up I saw where they had shipped me flat base 150's.
    If I load these with the same data as the BT's, what changes can I expect in trajectory?

2. Lefty7mmstw

Lefty7mmstw Well-Known Member

Not that much frankly as long as they are the sp and not the round nose unless you are going over 500 yards with it. I prefer fb bullets as they are usually a bit more accurate; the newer bt designs are damn good though too. I killed a mule deer at over 500 yards with the 165 hornady sp fb out of my 300 win this year-- trotting critter and a 20 mph wind to boot.

3. tango6

tango6 Member

They are both the SP and 300 yds would probably be a long shot for where I hunt. I am loading these up mainly for my "zombie killers". :D
    Thanks for the reply.

4. Canvsbk

Canvsbk Well-Known Member

Flat base bullets work great on zombies and I doubt you'll notice any difference inside 300 yards.

5. tango6

tango6 Member

That is kind of what I thought but I normally reload BT bullets for my hunting rifles and I did not want to reload 500 of these FB and then find they didn't shoot worth a hoot. And I didn't want to return them.

6. Lefty7mmstw

Lefty7mmstw Well-Known Member

Sometimes sp and bt bullets (even from the same maker) will shoot slightly different accuracy wise with a given powder charge. You may need to adjust your load a bit, but they will be fine. Just make sure to shoot a few before you load 'em all up.