Throat erosion differences for BT and flat base bullets?

AJ Peacock

I was reading the Bullet Theory article about the bullets such as the Wildcat bullets and how the Rebated Boat Tail (RBBT) helps slow down gas cutting in the barrel. I got to thinking about it and if that article is correct, it seems that it would also make a case for using flat base bullets instead of boat tail bullets when appropriate. I've killed many Big-Game animals with flat base bullets, even out to long range; but over the last 10 years, about the only time I use flat base is when I'm breaking in a barrel etc. Using flat base bullets is also cheaper!

Just curious if we are missing a chance to practice more with less barrel wear and save money at the same time?

AJ

It's a myth... rebated base, boat tail, and flat base, "erode", all the same, which is just about nothing.

It is flame from the burning powder that eats up the throat.

If powder could erode through the different bases, barrel wear would terrible at about 8" in front of the chamber.

It ain't.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.