First Time Shooting Long Range

Lovellr653

I got invited to shoot with a group of guys that are renting a 1000-1500yd range this Saturday. I am beyond stoked to finally shoot at these distances. Going into this trip the max distance I have shot is 600 yards which has been fun with a .223. Two years ago I purchased a Christensen MPR in 300PRC, worked up a good load with 225gr ELD-M's over Retumbo. I've shot the rifle at 600yds and it was fun but not much for a challenge, so finally being able to stretch the legs on my set up is pretty darn exciting. I have a Vortex Razor Gen II 4.5-27x56 scope mounted on a 20MOA Area 419 rail an Atlas bi-pod and a couple good bags. For a factory gun and limited experience, I have pretty high hopes of making impacts with some level of consistency. I'll be using the Hornady 4DOF app as well. I will post pics of range day when I get back from traveling. In the mean time, any pointers or last minute tips are welcome.

I cannot offer much advice as I've only shot at 1000 twice now myself. Both at IBS matches, my goal 1st time was to keep all 5 shots each relay on the 42" x 42" target - mission accomplished. Second time was to get to MOA - close but no cigar.
Advice? Watch those that are consistent, take notes on what they do. Make notes on your clicks at each yardage, follow-thru after squeezing off and most of all - have fun!

Let someone else shoot a target first and get humbled.😂 If they are calling out wind then try to get it in MPH too, not just in reticle/turret graduations (mil/moa). Unless you are shooting a rifle similar in external ballistics to theirs, their wind calls don't do a lot to help you with yours. Unless you know how to extrapolate the info.
Use your reticle (if yours is mil/moa based) to measure the targets' width before firing. Your reticle is a calibrated ruler that can tell you how much fudge room you have to play with on the first shot, and give you an indicator of how much of a correction to make if a follow up shot is needed. Works the same way with elevation too if you measure the target height.
Call every one of your shots and be honest so that your spotter (assuming y'all are spotting for each other) can give you a more accurate correction if needed.
Make sure you and your spotter know your exact POA.
If you are collecting or confirming dope/ballistic app output don't base it off of one round impacts. At 1000+ the accuracy/precision of you and your rifle may not be as good as you hope for and throw you off. A lot of people try to chase inches, when they are only capable of feet.
Which brings me to doing a target analysis on each round fired. Know where your rounds actually hit on the target, not that it just hit the target. Helps with trueing your drops and making wind calls on targets further down range.
My opinion is that NPA (or lack there of) causes more extended range misses than anything other than error in wind calls.
I can go on and on…just go have fun! Don't worry about misses, those teach you just as much or more so than the hits!

Let someone else shoot a target first and get humbled.😂 If they are calling out wind then try to get it in MPH too, not just in reticle/turret graduations (mil/moa). Unless you are shooting a rifle similar in external ballistics to theirs, their wind calls don't do a lot to help you with yours. Unless you know how to extrapolate the info.
Use your reticle (if yours is mil/moa based) to measure the targets' width before firing. Your reticle is a calibrated ruler that can tell you how much fudge room you have to play with on the first shot, and give you an indicator of how much of a correction to make if a follow up shot is needed. Works the same way with elevation too if you measure the target height.
Call every one of your shots and be honest so that your spotter (assuming y'all are spotting for each other) can give you a more accurate correction if needed.
Make sure you and your spotter know your exact POA.
If you are collecting or confirming dope/ballistic app output don't base it off of one round impacts. At 1000+ the accuracy/precision of you and your rifle may not be as good as you hope for and throw you off. A lot of people try to chase inches, when they are only capable of feet.
Which brings me to doing a target analysis on each round fired. Know where your rounds actually hit on the target, not that it just hit the target. Helps with trueing your drops and making wind calls on targets further down range.
My opinion is that NPA (or lack there of) causes more extended range misses than anything other than error in wind calls.
I can go on and on…just go have fun! Don't worry about misses, those teach you just as much or more so than the hits!
Lots of great info thank you!

On my first trip to shoot at 450-1000yards I was advised to utilize STRELOK for setup and I was truly impressed. Great for long range shooting. Heading back there next month and taking 3 rifles with STRELOK data.

I got invited to shoot with a group of guys that are renting a 1000-1500yd range this Saturday. I am beyond stoked to finally shoot at these distances. Going into this trip the max distance I have shot is 600 yards which has been fun with a .223. Two years ago I purchased a Christensen MPR in 300PRC, worked up a good load with 225gr ELD-M's over Retumbo. I've shot the rifle at 600yds and it was fun but not much for a challenge, so finally being able to stretch the legs on my set up is pretty darn exciting. I have a Vortex Razor Gen II 4.5-27x56 scope mounted on a 20MOA Area 419 rail an Atlas bi-pod and a couple good bags. For a factory gun and limited experience, I have pretty high hopes of making impacts with some level of consistency. I'll be using the Hornady 4DOF app as well. I will post pics of range day when I get back from traveling. In the mean time, any pointers or last minute tips are welcome.
Are you going to a range in PA?

Your going to love it. That Hornady app is pretty darn accurate. I use it for all my rifles and loads. It seems to be more accurate than the applied ballistics fir me. I had a chance to shoot with some bench rest people at 1000. I was worried about embarrassing myself. I shot mu 6.5 cm with proof carbon barrel and McMillan stock. Factory ammo. Way less equipment that the Ben rest guys. Well I shot 5 , 5 shot groups under 1 moa. I though I might be able to do a little better.
But it was better than some of the bench rest guys with 20lb custom rifles and hand loads. Stick to the fundamentals and watch the wind. Your going to surprise the hell out of yourself

Being technically proficient with your shooting is, of course, essential. But beyond that, take this opportunity to talk to as many of the other shooters as you can; ask them what they thought about the wind, why they used a certain holdover, etc. You can learn a lot of tips and tricks and just general information if you take this opportunity to swap information and learn from others. Have a great time!

Last edited:
Get a dope book and notate everything so next time you'll have first rnd hits. Get an app or something that will get you close. This distance isn't really a big challenge for 300 prc. Have fun!

Triple check your velocities so you can do your doping incorrectly