First Time Elk; Bow, rifle...Handgun?

SpencerSS

For a first time Elk hunt, on public land, self guided; whould you recomend a bowhunt, riflehunt or handgun hunt.

Reasoning goes to hunting preasure and ease of drawing a tag. I don't want to be fighting other hunters for space on the mountian. Plus, I want to see elk. Any recomendations?

Bowhunting is pretty relaxed after the opening weekend and you have a long season. A lot of it depends upon how much time you have to hunt and what your skills are with a bow. Low skill levels will make it difficult.

I do not know anywhere that has a special handgun season and I am just about as accurate with a bow as a handgun.

Rifle hunt is what everyone does so there are lots of options available. What I do nowadays is apply to Utah for limited entry elk to build up point for the draw and being as I have bought a expensive hunting license to get the points, I then bowhunt and get a rifle antlerless tag. This build up my knowledge base of the general hunting area as well as elk hunting techniques so when I finally get enough point to draw a special tag I will be ready for it.

That's just one philosophy of elk hunting and there are lots of others.

Don't know where you are going. It is hard to get an elk with a bow during the rut September will help. I would go with a rifle for your first elk and then later with a bow as you learn the area and habits of the elk.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.