First time Elk hunters

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by Win.308Stealth, May 31, 2013.

1. Win.308Stealth

Win.308Stealth Well-Known Member

Have hunted whitetails for 11 years in Minnesota and Antelope in Wyoming for two seasons. Have been successful in all my hunting seasons. This year me and my brothers are planning on hunting elk. We are planning on a DIY hunt. We are looking at either Wyoming or Montana, if we can pick up some bull tags that would be great, but if not we would be ok with cow tags.
    Now to the questions. Which state would be better chances of getting tags over the counter? Which state offers more public lands? And which areas would provide better chances of filling tags, regardless, bull or cow?

Have the proper rifles/scope/caliber/load combinations ready to go. Have started with the exercising regimens.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. And if I left something out please feel free to let me know.

Thanks in advance.

2. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

If it's for 2013 season, the deadline for non-resident elk tag application was 15 March 2013 for Montana.

Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks :: Application Deadlines & Drawing Dates

... and here's Wyoming's ...

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/hunting-1001118.aspx#sect1

3. marioq

marioq Well-Known Member

I know you can try a late left over tag hunt in MT... I have before.
    Best Call ASAP

4. Win.308Stealth

I have read somewhere that Montana is going to have lots of leftover tags thisyear. That is what I am hoping to get, but don't really know how much of montanas elk country is on public lands. I am just about ready to order a gps mapping sd card that shows al land ownership, so I guess I will have to do some more real research.

5. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

6. DanMan

DanMan Well-Known Member

Last I looked on their website the other day, Montana had way over 1000 gen season elk tags left. Only chance in Wy would be for cow tags.

7. Win.308Stealth

I myself am leaning towards a bull tag in Montana. But we have a couple guys in the group that can't afford a bull tag, so they are thinking cows. I can't find any info on the MT game and fish site about cow tags being available. Does anyone know if they even offer elk cow tags to nonresidents in Montana?

8. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Pick a region and call ... Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks :: FWP State Headquarters & Regions

The one thing that is going against you and your group is "TIME", esp. if you're going for the 2013 season.

Don't rely on what's on the website, esp. when it comes to surplus anything ... they do not last and the website is not promptly updated.

Good luck!

9. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

10. Win.308Stealth

Thanks I appreciate it. I think I will be able to talk some of the guys in the group to buy tags next week.

11. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

The countdown ...

Countdown:

• Big Game Combos: 1,692
    • Elk Combos: 2,291
    • Deer Combos: 1,039

... has not changed since 4 June. Either its not being updated as frequently as I am told or not selling as fast as it should be. lightbulb

12. 500mag_guy

500mag_guy Well-Known Member

you may want to check and see how the counts were for elk taken in the 2012 season in wyoming. i know montana was way way down.. the wolves have killed off so much of our herds that bagging an elk is a lot harder then it was 5-10 years ago.. last year i hunted all over the state of montana and it was dead everywhere first year in 15 that i didnt bag an elk and i hunted hard!!! you might look into Idaho also. they have a much better wolf management plan and last year i think idaho did well with the success on elk harvest. hope this helps..