First Elk, First Time Using 210 VLD

Congrats on a nice bull and the clean harvest. That's what we all look for. I appreciate you sharing the 210 VLD performance. They shoot great out of my 300WM, and I have quite a number of them loaded, but I haven't yet escaped the nagging question in the back of my mind regarding its toughness if I encountered heavier bones or needed to shoot an animal at a steeper quartering angle. I'm not sure why I can't escape that nagging; I had a very clean kill with a 185 Hunting VLD on a broadside 5x6 bull in NM last year, so I'd only expect better with the 210. Thanks for sharing and congrats again.

Even though I use VLDs in my 26 Nosler, 264 WM, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 280 AI, I still had reservations about using it on an elk.....but after reading all the info here, especially all the great stuff from Broz, I was convinced it was the right bullet and now that is confirmed!

Even though I use VLDs in my 26 Nosler, 264 WM, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 280 AI, I still had reservations about using it on an elk.....but after reading all the info here, especially all the great stuff from Broz, I was convinced it was the right bullet and now that is confirmed!

I should soon be receiving a 260 Remington from the gunsmith who's building it for me. My intention is to make it my primary deer / antelope rifle (previously using .30-06 and 300WM as that's what I've had until now). I have a variety of SST bullet weights (123, 129, 140?), the 143 grain Hornady ELD-X, and Nosler AB 130 to try. Not sure why I don't have Bergers on hand as well. Something for me to look into. I need to do some research on preferred bullets in that caliber and get started loading soon!

stx, nice bull. I used the 210VLD on elk for years in my 30/378. Switched to the 215 Berger last year, should get to try it this coming year. With the 210 heart/lungs just flowed out when you open them up.

That is a great bull!
I'm loading the 210's in my buddy's .300 WinMag and my 30-06, so always good to hear about positive performance.

I should soon be receiving a 260 Remington from the gunsmith who's building it for me. My intention is to make it my primary deer / antelope rifle (previously using .30-06 and 300WM as that's what I've had until now). I have a variety of SST bullet weights (123, 129, 140?), the 143 grain Hornady ELD-X, and Nosler AB 130 to try. Not sure why I don't have Bergers on hand as well. Something for me to look into. I need to do some research on preferred bullets in that caliber and get started loading soon!

I really like the 140 VLDs in my 6.5 Creedmoor....they shoot .25" @ 2730 fps and everything I've shot with them has been DRT.....they should do the same in your 260 if you find an accurate seating depth!

I really like the 140 VLDs in my 6.5 Creedmoor....they shoot .25" @ 2730 fps and everything I've shot with them has been DRT.....they should do the same in your 260 if you find an accurate seating depth!
Thanks for the tip. I'll check them out!

Loading the 140VLD for a new Browning Hells Canyon Speed. Many here in Az are loading them in the 6.5. This one is going on a Desert Bighorn hunt in Dec.

stx, wish it was my hunt. My son's friend he's known for over 30 years drew a buffalo and the bighorn tags this year. His backup rifle is a .270WSM. Here in Az these are once in a lifetime tags. I'm going on the hunt, but I'll be on a mountain top with my spotting scope. Several have seen an albino ram in his unit, but it's said to be on the small side.

IMG_1081.JPG
pic of his buffalo

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.