First Sambar kill with 338 EDGE- CONFIRMED

Down Under Hunter

A few weeks ago I had a great opportunity at a nice stag as it travelled to its night feeding grounds.

It was about 20 min before dark when I spotted something that didn't look right. Guess what , a big stags rear end from behind a large tree. Quickly ranging the deer at 875 mts and a downhill cos of .96 I quickly dialled the 22.5 up and set the rifle up. Due to there being no wind I allowed zero windage and broke the trigger.

Watching the deer react through the scope he hoped forward as they tend to do with a lung shot and slowly disappeared in the dogwood. Now due to the fact that it was now almost dark and I was 1000 yards away, I decided to wait till first light for the recovery.

Well guess what, it poured rain all night and when I got to the spot everything was completely washed out. I looked for around 4 hours with no luck, but felt sure that he was hit well and I would eventually recover him.

Thankfully the day arrived some 3 weeks later and I found the neat 26 " stag in a nasty tangle of terribly thick scrub about 150 meters from the strike.

On analysing the event I believe the shot was well placed and had I not had all the sign washed out on the night, I'm sure I would have recovered him quickly. I will probably try next time to break the front legs rather than in the pocket behind the front leg. You just cant help bad luck !

This first kill for the rifle illustrates the devastating potential of the 338 EDGE on Sambar deer and what opportunity a quality long range system can deliver.

I'll posts some pics of the head when it gets cleaned up some more.

Jawz,

Cheers mate ! Finally turned him over !

Hes just a nice head without anything over fancy. Small inners, good brows, decent weight and about square for spread.

Whats happening up north ?

DUH

Congrats, too bad you could not make a clean recovery.

What are your general weather conditions that time of year?
Here, unless the temps stay below freezing, which is rare, I go after everything asap except gut shot animals.

IMO, most lost animals are due to waiting too long! If I shoot an animal that I know is dead then I will follow up right away unless I can see it. If I see it fall then I will watch for about 5 minutes and if there is no movement then I go an retrieve it.

I have friends that wait 1/2 hour, and others that will do as you did and wait overnight.
My recovery is more successful, but their tracking skills are lacking too.

edge.

DUH,

Nice shot. Glad you caught up with him. I have become a big proponent of the high shoulder shot for this very reason. Sounds like all went well with conditions and shot execution just that recovery was tough.

Mate not much just got back from Fiji .

I knocked off 2 of the white deer out of my fallow herd and then did some practice , the 240 is shooting sweet .25 after bedding and now Im off to the range with the 300 and the new NF scope.

Congrats again.

JAWZ

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.