first kill with 300rum

pvanwyk

Following advise from the forum almost 2 years ago (it took that long to get a license for the 300rum) I made my first kill 1 week ago with the 300rum. Area was eastern cape, South Africa with exceptionally tough shooting conditions. Wind howled non stop for 5 days, over open plains with not much cover to stalk closer.

Got this mature bull black Wildebeest with a 220gr smk. Rifle was standard Rem sendero and IOR Valdada scope. Perfect performance from the smk. Although no large bones were hit, only ribs on entry and exit, it penetrated through heart and lungs leaving about a dollar sized exit wound. Tough animals that they are, he ran for about 60 yards before collapsing. (That with the shot destroying the bottom half of his heart).

The 300rum and smk's did a perfect job. Just the medicine for open plains shooting. Good advise from the forum. Thanks.

]web page[/url]

Congratulations 2scoops!
How far was the shot, I'm curious because of the performance of the bullet!
Good Job!

Congratulations, nice animal.. also curious to know the distance in order to assess bullet performance.

I know wildebeest are very tough. Running just 60 yds. means he was perfectly hit.

How fast was the smk flying???

Distance was 256yds. Muzzle velocity was pretty low at 2700fps. Ran out of time trying to develop a load before the hunt, and stuck to one of the initial loads that grouped well.

Following advise from the forum I only shoot smk's. From my 25-06 I have shot from 40 pound to 300 pound animals at distances from 35 yds out to 442 yds with 100gr smk's. Excellent performance on all shots, with a muzzle velocity of 3340fps. In my experience the smk's have done the job every time.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.