First Rifle Purchase... Can't Decide!

MooseMasher

Hi guys! Looking to buy my first decent rifle and would appreciate some input. The caliber I'm most likely going to buy is the 300 win mag. I'm looking for a production rifle that is capable to make 500 yard shots in it's sleep.

I'm having problems deciding between the following:

Remington Model 700 XCR Tactical ~ $1325

Remington Model 700 Sendero SF 2 ~ $1275

Weatherby Mark V Ultra lightweight ~ $1800

Weatherby Mark V Accumark ~ $1775

Sake 85 Synthetic Stainless ~ $1800

** Prices are approximate and in Canadian dollars

All the reviews for each of the rifles are positive hence my problem. I'm currently leaning towards the Accumark or the XCR Tactical.

If one of these rifles can greatly improved by a couple of additions I'd be very interested to hear about that as well!

Appreciate any advise you can give me!

my 300 wm sendero is awesome. add a good scope. i have leup mk 4 6.5-20, ....the 300 wm is easy to load for. i load lapua brass, i have used 165 horn and 168 cbt and fo long range i used the 210 berger. mostly i use re-22 powder. you will love it

Last edited:
The mk 5 ltwt is the one I would drop from the list. The Accumark would be at the top of mine. But consider the Tikka T-3 light. It can not be beat for lightweight accuracy. All three of mine are deadly accurate 800 yard rifles. That is about max for a rifle that light.

My only advice is make sure you can get a jewel trigger for what ever you buy. It will be the best roughly $200 you ever spend. A 2 oz trigger will tighten your groups and just make it a joy to shoot. I know you cant get one for a savage but you can for the 700.

I honestly have never seen a Sendero that would not shoot 1/2 to 3/4 MOA (with quality hand loads) I have owned 3 (300 RUM, 25-06, 7mm) and i have an uncle that has had several, that is all he will buy unless he is just getting one of those too good to be true deals from someone. All of them are awesome. (I am sure someone out there has a story about one that was a ***, but this is JMO)

Like i said in my post above, Savage is hard to beat for the money. Worst savage i had ever had was right at an inch moa with store bought ammo.(300wsm) Had a 22-250 that would leave one jagged little hole at 200 it seamed like what ever i threw down the tube. I found a sweet little load for it, and took the jagged edges off the hole lol. That is the only gun that i really wish i wouldn't have gotten rid of.

I am rambling now, but the Model 700 Sendero and the Savage are great rifles and make a great platform if you ever want to build a custom.

I have the sendero sfII 300win mag and I love it The rifle stock With 41/2 to 14 mi dials.STOCK i can shoot sub moa with 190mk and 168bergers

The Sendero SF II is an awesome rifle, lots of good parts and the ones I have seen are gorgeous rifles and I have heard that they shoot well, but they are costly, you can buy a used 700 and customize it for not a whole lot more. If you can find one, since just about everyone has been sold out for the last 6 months, the Savage 111 Long Range Hunter comes with a good stock with a karsten cheek piece 10 twist 26" pipe with the 300wm, the barrel is fluted and also has an adjustable brake, you can also play with the spring in the accu trigger and get it to break clean and crisp at about 14-15oz, I have a model 12 with the target accutrigger that is only supposed to adjust down to 6 oz it breaks at 3.5 oz and isn't even adjusted all the way down, a Jewell trigger is awesome but I think a modified accutrigger falls in second place. Also the 111 is about 500 dollars cheaper than a sendero and will most likely shoot 3/8 moa with decent ammo and 1/4 with hand loads. If neither of those make you happy go with the Accumark, but if you do go on and step up to 300 wby mag!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.