Can't decide, Cooper vs Rifles Inc

garryh

Although I've been reading this site for years I have yet to post. There has been so much great info already posted that there wasn't a need, until now.
I'm looking for a new rifle, current only own a Weatherby Accumark 300 mag. I've narrowed down my search to either, in 7mm Rem Mag, a Cooper Jackson Hunter or a Rifles Inc Strata (Possibly even the titanium). I'm leaning towards Rifles Inc due to the light weight but I need to make sure I'll have the same accuracy that the Cooper has.

I've been able to find a fair amount of info on Cooper but have been unable to find much of anything on Rifles Inc.

I could really use a little help deciding.

Last edited:
You couldn't go wrong with that custom. It's got all the right stuff. Not too familiar
with Performance Rifles but they wouldn't be hard to get a read on by asking and a
little google fu. With the money he spent on parts for the build I would guess his work
is top notch as well. I should add, there is little chance of a factory build outshooting
the custom you linked to.

Last edited:
Dasher wrote back, its a 9lb rifle, too heavy. So I'm back to my original choices, Cooper or Rifles Inc.

750 of that money is in the stock. McMillan dropped their lightweight mountain rifle
stocks quite a while ago. You could sell it (they are the most prized) and easily pay for
a lightweight and the bedding job to go with it. I agree 9 lbs is a little heavy but an old
sako is 8.5 factory. Coopers are nice but it's still and 8.25 rifle, not light by any means.
And that is an "average weight'. If that's a marketing number based on a .30 cal yours
will be heavier, add the rail and your right back at 9 lbs.
I wouldn't even look at a titanium action. It's light and it's strong and when it breaks
it shatters. No fatigue like steel so you will be shooting a grenade. A few S&W owners
out there can testify to it. There is also no give in it. So all the pounding is absorbed by
the stock and you, the action will just transfer it. It has it's place, but not in a high shock
environment. As to their prices, that is you supplying the action, just a reworked rem. 700 is what you wind up with. For less than 200.00 more you can build on a custom action which is much better and actually has a resale value if you ever decide. So my
question is why do they build on 700's?
And the PTG bottom metal comes in steel and aluminum, if the custom you linked to
has the steel that's even more weight you can shave very easily.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.