First Rifle Debate??

muleythumper

I am choosing a 'first rifle' for my 12 year old son. I have already decided on 7mm-08 cartridge..............I just need advice on the rifle. I have heard nothing but positives regarding the Ruger American, but I also have heard great things about the Savage 11/11 and the Weatherby Vanguard. Any ideas I should consider???? Thanks!!

I would consider letting his body type and experience be the judge. Everyone is built different and each person has his or her own way of getting behind the gun. I like the savages rugged durable and usually shoot really well out of the box.
Jordan@406

I'd take the Weatherby for the accuracy guaranty. It's slightly lighter with less overall length than the Savage. But then it's not my rifle, the Savage, Weatherby, and Remington are fair choices, show him all 3 let him pick.

Or. You can just go with the Ruger like you mentioned. . If your set on the 7/08 then OK. But Ruger is offering it in the 6.5 Creedmoor also. And with 120 gr bullets the 6.5 Cm recoils like a 243 and it has proven to be an excellent load for deer ect.
Just my 2 ¢ worth.

Savage is what my 7 year old nephew has been shooting in 243 the last couple years we cut the cheap synthetic stock down to fit him then when gets older we can put good stock on it for him to keep using.He killed a 7 pt, 10pt and two does with one shoot each last season.Hornady super performance works great for him.

I would consider letting his body type and experience be the judge. Everyone is built different and each person has his or her own way of getting behind the gun. I like the savages rugged durable and usually shoot really well out of the box.
Jordan@406

+1! Out of your 3 excellent 1st rifle choices for your son, the Savage has the most after market support not to mention the most DIY friendly for future upgrade/project.

Good luck and happy safe father-son hunting/shooting adventures.

+1! Out of your 3 excellent 1st rifle choices for your son, the Savage has the most after market support not to mention the most DIY friendly for future upgrade/project.

Good luck and happy safe father-son hunting/shooting adventures.

+2 What FEENIX said. gun)

Thanks fellow shooters!! I am not a reloader so the 6.5 Creedmoor is out due to limited ammo choices at retail....although I have heard great things about this cartridge (as well as the 260). I even saw a video of Wayne Van Zwoll killing a bull elk at 600+ yards with the Creed. I think I will probably end up with the Savage or Ruger.......good shooters, rugged and dependable. Thanks to all!

My grandson is 8 and got a Savage American 7mm08 for his birthday from his dad. I was not happy with the choice until we took him out to shoot it. Was I wrong, this rifle was very accurate even during barrel break in. As for future use, I heard Boyd's is coming out with a laminate stock for the American this month or next. Good luck with your choice.

My bad, it is a Ruger American. Sitting here loading for a Savage and didn't proof read my post.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.