Debate time..... caliber selection

fatjake

Here it goes. Another which caliber is best thread.

What's the best do all caliber in your opinion.

Here's the stipulation....if you choose to respond, you must provide a reasoning for your pick. You can't simply post a caliber and be done

I like a 6.5 X 284 for a couple good reasons.
Flat Shooting
Enough Power. ( Elk to Varmints to Steel )
Lighter Recoil
Very Accurate.
And plenty of good reloading components available.

For a do all. I would pick something in .284 like the 7mm Rem Mag. Main reason is if you have one do all rifle, there's a good chance you're not a reloader, and good 7mm Rem Mag ammo is available everywhere. Plus a little less kick and blast than a 300 Win Mag never hurts. LOL

Back when I was a one rifle guy and didn't reload, I used a 7 Rem Mag. Killed several deer and elk with factory ammo out to about 350 yards. No problems and this was way back before checkerboard reticles and rangefinders...

...Main reason is if you have one do all rifle, there's a good chance you're not a reloader, and good 7mm Rem Mag ammo is available everywhere....

With the advances in bullet technology, any number of cartridges can be used as an only chambering. Less achievable is the one rifle, that shines at everything, we want a rifle to do.

I don't believe there's a "best" caliber. Certain calibers do certain things better than others. But I think a good "all around" caliber is the 7mm cal. With modern 7mm bullets like the 180 eld-match and the 197 smk or 195 Berger, they're making some very impressive numbers that match or better the 30s with less recoil.

I suppose which is "best" is largely a matter of perspective.

All I know is I'm VERY thankful there are so many different options because I've always liked the idea of having one of those and one of these and one of.......... :)

7mm is tough to beat all around, but bigger and smaller can absolutely get it done. I have nice 6.5's , 7's and 30's , I feel confident with all of them.

I'd choose a good classic. .308 win. It can do everything but nothing best. Plenty for hunting and plenty for launching lead at steal. Also ammo availability.

Funny thing is I don't own one lol. My long bolt guns are .300 win. Mag. 6.5 creedmoor and 25-06. O and of coarse some .22's.

Luckily I dont have to choose only one!

Are you referring to best "caliber or cartridge"... There is one heck of a big difference between the two. I'm assuming your meaning cartridge and not caliber...in that case you can always make big ones act like little ones but not vice versa...in that case the good old fashion 7 mm rem mag or 300 win mag will take care of 99% of anyone's shooting needs without driving you insane trying to find reloading components....caliber would have to be .308 and the hundred cartridges that use that diameter bullet..

The 6.5 covers just about all my rifle shooting needs for target/competition and hunting. Well balanced in terms of ballistic performance, energy, accuracy, and recoil.

From a choice of cartridge standpoint my favorite 6.5 for LRH is the 6.5x284, for PRS/Competition it is the 6.5x47 Lapua......I would avoid characterizing these as the "best" as I think is a qualitative term and determined by an individuals particular needs.

You guys act like this is 1855! Who in their right mind would go on a hunting trip
without taking adequate ammo..Why would you need to "find it anywhere"
We are not Lewis and Clark! Anything you want is on the net with 2 day shipping to anywhere in North America...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.