ugly debate enclosed

gicts

Recently I have been drawn into lr hunting. Mostly I am going for varmint, coyote, and deer and have the ability to shoot as far out with pinpoint accuracy as possible ( I guess we all do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif). I believe the .308 would be a good all around caliber, would anyone recommend differently? I have been looking for a rifle and have come across several. All of the ones listed below are in .308.
Savage 10FP
Savage 11 GNS
Savage 200 Stevens
Savage 12FV
Savage 16 FXP3
Remington 742 Woodmaster
Remington 700
Remington 700 VS
Remington 7

Do any of these guns fit the description of what I want to do? Would you recommend any other ones not listed? Any that I need to stay clear of? Basically any help or direction would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Get the Savage 12FV and put the money you saved vs. buying a Remington into the glass. You'll have a good starting out rifle w/a good trigger. There's not much that can compete w/a Savage for out of the box accuracy either.

Welcome to LRH!!! Hang around here and I guarantee you'll learn all you need to know to be successful at this game!!!

I would tell you to go with something in a 6mm caliber or the 308. YOu could also go for a 7mm-08. ANy of these would work good. I would also tell you to go for the Savage only becuase it will shoot good and it will be cheap. If you go with the Remington I am sure you will be more than happy though.

I saw you mentioned a savage 16 fxp3, this is a package rifle that comes with a scope. THe scope definantly not LR quality. If you were gonna pick a savage rifle for LR I would go with the 10 fp or the 12 fv, either one will be a shooter. For the Rem get something in a heavy barrel.

Good luck
Steve

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I personally would have gone with the Rem 700 but there was no reason behind it. I can get a
Savage 11 GNS for $339
12FV for $489
are these fair prices,and if so which would you recommend for the price, or could you direct me to a better price or even better gun? Thanks!

honestly the price for the 12FV seems a little steep. We sell them for around 420.00

The 12FV would definanlty be a better LR gun for you, that heavy barrel really helps.

Go for the savage 12 FV. Use the money you save for glass first. Then buy a stock their are many good stocks for savages out their for very reasonible money. Put your money in good scope you'll never regret it.

With the same rationale as buying the best glass you can afford, I believe the best platform you have listed is a Model 700 Remington, or even a 40X. I doubt that you would ever regret it, and if you did, the resale value is much higher than a Savage. LB

While the Rem 700's are good guns, for accuracy the average Rem can not compare to the average Savage. I own several of both and would buy a 12FV, or 10FP in 308, put a good scope on it and get some match ammo for it if you dont reload, you would have a very capable 600yrd+ platform.

if you want a real good setup I would get the 12fv in 308 and shoot Richard Graves 169.5 ULDRBBT WildCat bullet.
The BC is around .550 and should shoot well in a 308

just my opinion

steve

I too like the .308 diameter but in an ultra mag case.The mod 116 SAK weather warrior Savage really accurate rifles and have muzzle brakes already installed also pillar bedded
and the trigger is good as well.The 2 that I personally know about mine and a friends will shoot 2" groups at 635yds. this is with quality reloads. and can easily be converted to other mag calibers.

I have one of the 116 in a 300 RUM also,

gun shoots great but even with a muzzle break it still kicks the snot out of me. I am gonna sell it to fund some other projects. I have heard several people critiscise the savage pillar bedding job so I am going to have it re-done in a 12bv stock I am using for my Allen Mag.

the acu-trigger is one of the best inventions that a factory could ever put on a rifle. the varmint series rifles will go down to 1.5lbs and we even managed to get BJ's trigger down to 8oz.

Steve

My personal bias will be to a Savage/Stevens. I shoot two factory Savages (270 and 7RM) and have two Stevens for actions (7RM Kreiger, 6.5Mystic Gaillard). I love these rifles.

You include LR and deer in your quests so I would strongly suggest against the 308. Yes, the 308 is plenty lethal on deer out past 600yds. A wind cheater it is not!

For me, distance is not that big a deal. Wind is. That eliminates the 30cal as only a bigger case need apply (I doubt you want a WM, WBY or RUM to go pop marmots/coyotes).

So in the factory offerings, I suggest the 7-08 (they don't list any 260Rem) as a min. Preferably the 7RM (280 but not listed). If they offer the 25-06, then another excellent choice.

If you don't plan on many shots at a time, the sporter barrels are just fine. In this weather, mine can launch 4 7RM rds with good effect before overheating.

With the 7RM, you have amazingly low wind drift (162gr Amax 1/3 the drift compared to a 308), flat trajectory and power to hammer any game a very long ways out.

I have attached pics of my personal rig. Sharp Shooter trigger as mine came with the orig one (YUCK!!!!), oversized factory bolt handle, Hogue pre fit recoil pad, Micaluk AR15 muzzle brake (awesome and dirt cheap). Action has been bedded and forend releaved alot. Shoots sub MOA to the KM. Recoil is light and I spot my own hits.

I think the best buy on the planet today is the Stevens 200. Get one in 7RM, put in a trigger and bed the action. It will shoot.

For a factory cartridge from Savage/Stevens, the 7RM gets my nod.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.