First long range build: Mosin Nagant 91/30 Precision Carbine

atl5029

Hi All,

As a new long range shooter, I just wanted to share my first rifle build for long range shooting. I wanted to build something that I could use to practice long range shooting technique without spending a ton of money on ammo while I build a 338 Edge. I also didn't want to put a ton of money into this build (still spent about $400). The outcome of this idea was what I call my Mosin Nagant 91/30 Precision Carbine.

It started life as a Tula hex receiver 91/30 made in 1935. The rifling near the muzzle was badly worn from improper cleaning and it was hard to hold a 6 inch group at 100 yards. Here's what I did to bring it up to more modern standards.

-With the help of a machinist friend, cut the barrel to 18.5 inches, recrowned the muzzle and threaded with an 5/8-24 thread. Bead blasted and reblued the barrel with cold blue. I realize the barrel is a little short for long range, but this project actually started out as a brush gun before I realized it might make a decent long range gun.

-Mounted a Rock Solid Industries M-24 rail and had RSI modify my bolt handle

-Added a AK-74 style muzzle break from Dinzag Arms

-Installed a Timney trigger with side safety.

-Was going to drop the action in a Boyds or Archangel stock, but I found someone online who had a nice walnut M/N sporter stock and was looking for an original military stock. We made an even trade. I stripped, sanded, painted, and sealed the stock, added a Limbsaver recoil pad and Karsten Adustable cheek piece. I also glass bedded the recoil lug and rear tang and installed pillars from RSI.

-My cousin was nice enough to give me his used Burris rings since he got new ones on his AR, so I mounted a Tasco Varmint 6-24x scope I had. The glass isn't great, but it was able to give me sub MOA groups on a single shot .223, so I figured it was good enough for a practice build.

MN9130precisionCarbine.jpg

As soon as I get a free weekend with some nice weather I'll take it out to see how accurate it really is. I have an array of different ammo I am going to try to see what it likes. I have some 147 grain Bulgarian and Russian milsurp light ball, some MFS 174 grain, some 182 grain PPU match, and a ton of 182 grain Bulgarian milsurp heavy ball. I'll repost with a range report as soon as I can.

If you hand load give 50 grs Accurate 4350 with either a .311 diameter Sierra 174 gr Match King or a .312 diameter Hornady 174 gr RN. These loads shoot very tight in ALL my 7.62x54R rifles and I have a bunch of them. :D I have never found any military ammo that shoots what I would call real accurate. Most of the bullets in that ammo is too small of diameter. The bores in these rifles vary a great deal. I slug all my bores with a .315 lead muzzle loader ball driven down the bore and measure the high points which are the groove. If it comes out .310 to .311 I shoot .311 bullets and if it comes out .311 to .312 I shoot .312 if it comes out larger than .312 it goes down the road. You can make these old rifles really shoot. I have kept all mine in the military configuration but have blown some peoples minds at how accurate I have made them shoot with the open sights. I have learned how to shim the actions and dampen the barrels etc. like the Finns did with their sniper rifles and it works. Oh! I have also found that these rifles like the heavy bullets best. 174/80 gr. Have fun and I hope yours shoot great.

If you hand load give 50 grs Accurate 4350 with either a .311 diameter Sierra 174 gr Match King or a .312 diameter Hornady 174 gr RN. These loads shoot very tight in ALL my 7.62x54R rifles and I have a bunch of them. :D I have never found any military ammo that shoots what I would call real accurate. Most of the bullets in that ammo is too small of diameter. The bores in these rifles vary a great deal. I slug all my bores with a .315 lead muzzle loader ball driven down the bore and measure the high points which are the groove. If it comes out .310 to .311 I shoot .311 bullets and if it comes out .311 to .312 I shoot .312 if it comes out larger than .312 it goes down the road. You can make these old rifles really shoot. I have kept all mine in the military configuration but have blown some peoples minds at how accurate I have made them shoot with the open sights. I have learned how to shim the actions and dampen the barrels etc. like the Finns did with their sniper rifles and it works. Oh! I have also found that these rifles like the heavy bullets best. 174/80 gr. Have fun and I hope yours shoot great.

Thanks RT2506. yeah I don't plan to get any 1/2 inch groups with any ammo I have now. Even the PPU match stuff I have have .310-.3105 bullet diameters. I am going to try handloading some of the 174 grainers from hornady and sierra. GS Custom also has a .312 diameter bullets in 165 and 186 grains with impressive BCs. I have slugged my bore with 1/8 oz fishing sinkers that have been flattened a bit, but I couldn't get any really clean slugs. I did several and my best measurements I could get was .312-3125. I was going to buy some .313 diameter pistol bullets to slug my bore, but I think a .315 muzzle loader ball would be much better. Where do you get those?

Also, if this gun shows to be pretty accurate, I might use it for some long range deer hunting. Like I said, GS Custom makes a .312 dia. 186 gr bullet with a BC of .607 specifically for long range hunting with the 7.62x54R. They are really expensive though. I have also been talking with the guys at Cutting Edge Bullets about doing a custom run of .312 diameter MTH bullets in the 180 grain range. Their BC should be .6 or better If I get them made, would you be interested in getting in on the order? They would be cheaper per bullet than the GSC bullet.

I got my 315 diameter lead balls from Midway they are Hornady. I remove the bolt and drop one into the chamber end and use the metal cleaning rod that comes with the rifle with a piece of wood on top of it to protect it while I hammer it into the bore as far as I can. I then use short pieces, about 6" long, wood dowel rod dropped in and use the cleaning rod to tap them until the slug drops out the muzzle.

Sierra makes a 180 gr Soft point .312 bullet that does pretty good for hunting.

You will get an awesome fireball from your short barrel. From my M44 and M38 carbine you can see a fire ball basket ball size in the bright sun light. :D

Thanks! I will order those.

I imagine the fireball will be even bigger with the brake on the end there. I'm sure it will get my neighbors attention at the range. Double ear protection for sure lol.

Yep it gets peoples attention. I used to shoot in what we called Old Men's Military Rifle matches. We shot from a bench for score because some could not get into or out of all those positions. LOL We shot carbines at 50 yards and rifles at 100 yards. The first time I shot my M/N M-44 in the carbine match after firing my first 5 shot string the benches on both sides of me were empty. :D They waited until I got finished shooting before they resumed their shooting. Concussion under a roofed bench line is wicked. :D By the way I won every carbine match I shot in. My M-44 is awesomely accurate. Graf/PPU case, CCI 200, 50 grs AA 4350, .311 Sierra 174 gr Match King, OAL 3.000 and use a Lee Factory Crimp Die with a medium crimp. Shoots the 1" X-ring out at 50 yards and that is 10 shots. I have done a lot of load testing in these rifles and the use of a Lee Factory Crimp Die improves accuracy for some reason.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.