mosin nagant

D.A.T.

these rifles were known for long range shooting,just wondering if anyone has ever tricked one out.ive herd them called tomato stakes and junk,truth is i have one that shoots great and is reasonable to reload for.just curious

I have seen some that people have really tricked out and they do shoot very well.

I have done a lot of work with them in the military configuration and have made them really shoot well. Accuracy really depends on what size the bore actually is. Most of them need .311 diameter bullets and if you get one of those you have a great selection of good bullets. Some need .312 diameter bullets and Hornady is the only one that makes that size bullet that I have found. My rifles like the 174 to 180 gr bullets best. The most accurate load that I have ever found for these rifles consist of this.
50 grs Accurate 4350, Prvi/Graf's case or a Laupua case, CCI 200 primer, For .311 bullets the 174 Sierra match king or the 180 Sp OAL 3.000 and for .312 bullets the Hornady 174 RNSP OAL 2.790 and this is important to accuracy. Use a Lee Factory Crimp Die on all loads.

I have blown people's minds at some of the military rifle shoots when I shoot the X ring out with one of my M/N 91/30s and it is not accurate compared to my Finnish Mod 39 M/N.

There are some people that have made some pretty good scope bases for them now and Timney makes an adjustable trigger with a slide safety. One of these days I may build up a real sporter out of one of my 91/30s.

I ended up using one back a long time ago, we called it a 762 RUSSIAN. I was at a friends farm and I had no plans on hunting but I went out and got me a deer tag for land owner permit.
when I shot the rifle to see if it was on the bullets would tumble...it key holed through the target but it was dead on at 100 yards..I shot a doe and it just destroid the chest area and every organ..it just exploded the guts..but it did work.

mine is .311 and has an excellent bore.im ordering a stock from richards,ive got an ati stock but its warped.checkout www.rocksolidind.com they have an excellent scope mount and bolt bodies with turned down handles.heck it shoots good and figured i might as well do it.

I shoot long range as part of my profession, and am used to the top of the line stuff. For a fun project I decided to do some simple accurizng to a Mosin Nagant. The end result was awesome!! . I glass bedded the stock polished the trigger, added a rock solid mount with a bent bolt, put a good piece of glass on it and away I went. The gun consistently shoots ½ MOA or less. I have taken it out to 600 yards. No problem. My favorite load is 43.9gr H4895 pushing a .311 180gr sierra game king at 2519 FPS Consistently a little on the slow side but stupid accurate. So far total I think I have under $400 invested in the rifle. The only down side with mine is after about 5 rounds I need to let it cool off for about a minutes or two or the groups open up to 1 to 1.5 MOA

I also buy mill surplus ball pull the bullet remeasure the powder to 43.9gr throw a 180gr Game king on it and get 1 to ½ MOA consistently and save a lot of money in the mean time. for my Mosins all my OAL is just shy of 2.8 but Mosins are sloppy on the machining so you have to play with it.

It is a fun gun for me because if I screw it up I'm not out a lot.

As far as a long range gun. With some practice I would have no issue going out to 800 on steel and 600 on big game with mine.

AS WITH ALL RELOADING WORK FROM THE LOWEST RECOMMENDED LOAD. LOAD AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I have not shot it in this stock yet, but looks good feels solid. this is a bluegrass rifle stock form Bluegrass Stock Company took a while to get and it needed a little fitting work, not much about 5 Min worth once I got it. Group is out of original stock glass bedded at 100m. the rifle shoots .5 MOA or less consistently.

Attachments

• mosinafter.jpg
    mosinafter.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 358
  • groupmosin2.jpg
    groupmosin2.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 116
Nice looking and shooting rifle. Is that a hand load shooting those groups? If so what is it? I think I'm going to get a bluegrass stock for mine. How do you like yours??

Here's my Mosin rig

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 118
This gun is just all around fun. I shoot it at steel between 500 @ 750 yards mostly, but I do hunt with it a lot too. Killed a doe, coyote, and buck with it in that order in the last 2 years. Missed a doe one day. That's the only 4 animals I've shot at with it. Shortly after the buck kill I cut and coated the barrel with Alumahyde. Here's the buck. Heartshot. 345 yards.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 175
A lot of US shooters don't seem to realize this, but the 7.62x54R (or 7.62x53R for the Finns) are extremely accurate cartridges. Inherently at least as accurate, and possibly a bit more so than our own 7.62x51/308 Win. The guns themselves get a bad rap, but remember that a lot of them were wartime production and produced under some pretty harsh conditions. Those that were properly assembled, with well machined parts can be some serious shooters. Since there is substantial variation in the bores of the different productions, it pays to do a little research and measuring before you start loading for one of these rifles. Do that, and you may be surprised at just what sort of performance you can get out of the Mosin-Nagant.

I agree the rifle and the round is awesome. I think it got a bad rap because the mil surplus ammo in its natural state shots horible my rifle is a 1943 production non sniper with the regular ball i get 3 to 5 MOA when I reload i get the results that I poasted on another thread.

My most accurate hunting load is Privi brass Large rifle primers 44GR H4895 180GR Sierra Game King .311 at 2519FPS it shoots tighter than .5MOA consistently. When I Top it off with a 174 Match king it is a little tighter still . No pressure signs but it works well and is fast enough so I don't load any hotter.

MY FAVORITE LOADS is simply taking apart Russian Mill surplus Ball ammo. I dump Out the Powder remeasure to 44.2GR and top it off with a 180GR Sierra Game king. I get .5 or a little bigger. at 2500 FPS.. I like this load because it is faster to load Cheap and just fun. I have gotten no pressure signs. I am planning on loading up to 46GR next time. The same load at 42.8Gr of powder gave me .25 MOA at 2375 FPS. Be careful with this one because there is no load data on the powder it seems to act like IMR-4895, it took me more time working with loads to get good groups with this.

A fun reduced load is SR 4759 22.5gr with a 180GR Sierra game king .311 at 1775 FPS this gives me .5 to .25 MOA and kicks a little harder than a 22lr all my loads are just off the lands at 2.8 OAL
As far as the stock it is solid but a little rough on the wood work. Mine sits a little sideways down the channel it took me a little fitting but now it is straight and fits well. I will let you know how it shoots.

Alright got out to the range with the Mosin in its new stock twice now. First time I had not done any fitting work to it and was getting consistent 1 MOA. 2nd time I went Was after bedding the stock.. I was not planning on going to the range but had some loads left over. I shot two, three shot groups both times I pulled the second shot and had the first and third shot touching. This was at 100 M using accurized surplus ball. Next time I hope to post a picture really showing what this rifle can do..

I also accurized a buddies mosin just started working on a load for that one and shot consistent 1 MOA with two 5 shot groups, not bad for the firs time out. He has his in a ATI stock with an ATI mount. Bushnell Ellette 10x Mill to Mill

Attachments

• mosingroup.jpg
    mosingroup.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 129
  • mosinafter.jpg
    mosinafter.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 119
It is a little rough on the finishing work. took me about an hour with a whittling knife and sand paper to get it to fit well. after bedding it worked great.

Great work. Looks like she's shooting great. You should share that gun over on SOCAMO. It's a website for mosin owners and mosin modders. I'm going to try some of this surplus accurising. I have a lot of surplus ammo but it doesn't shoot accurate for me. 4-6" at 100 yards

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.