mosin nagant

You guys been shooting lately?

I'm wanting to add a modern scope to a 91/30. I think I'll be going with the Rock Solid Industries mount and bent handle. Not sure if I will do Weaver or Picatinny.

Initially I may use the factory stock. It looks like fitting a new one can take a lot of time, is that correct for the Boyd stocks?

Any length suggestions if I cut down the barrel? A local smith told be $125 to cut/crown/thread. I'd like to install a muzzle brake if I cut it down and maybe try my AAC can on it.

I'd be happy with 1 MOA.

I shot a little one day. I'm a member of SOCAMO also and we do some paper shoots from time to time. I shot the new fall shoot. Didn't do as well as I wanted. I had taken my gun apart and was going to bed the action. But I just reminded myself how bad I hate this ATI stock and decided to wait until I get a new stock. So I had to rezero the gun first and didn't get it just right before starting the shoot. I have no experience with a Boyd's stock but my ATI took tons of fitting.

Anything rock solid is good stuff. I will only use their mounts. As far as length it seems the sweet spot for accuracy is 22"-24". I personally cut mine at 26". The barrel needs shortens to stiffen it up. Mine shoots under 1 Moa easy and I've shot many many .30-.40 groups

Keep us posted.

these rifles were known for long range shooting,just wondering if anyone has ever tricked one out.ive herd them called tomato stakes and junk,truth is i have one that shoots great and is reasonable to reload for.just curious

Bang for the buck they are hard to beat. Not a percision system by far but heavy hitting and cheap to shoot. With handloads they perform eceptionally. I cut the barrel down on my 91/30 to 24", Added a Ross Shuler Comp, Timney Trigger, Archangel Stock and 4-16x40 varmit scope. Work great and with 200gr SP bullets Im holding 2.5" groups at 500yds.

Attachments

• mosin pic #1.jpg
    mosin pic #1.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 105
  • Mosin Pic.jpg
    Mosin Pic.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 80
Bang for the buck they are hard to beat. Not a percision system by far but heavy hitting and cheap to shoot. With handloads they perform eceptionally. I cut the barrel down on my 91/30 to 24", Added a Ross Shuler Comp, Timney Trigger, Archangel Stock and 4-16x40 varmit scope. Work great and with 200gr SP bullets Im holding 2.5" groups at 500yds.

Heres the final Pic of my Mosin. Got about 450$ in it. I know someone will chime in about spending that kinda money on a curio gun BUT....Its not a curio gun anymore :)

Attachments

• Mosin 3.jpg
    Mosin 3.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 76
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.