First Live 338 AM Rounds Down Range

bailey1474

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
Well, we took her out last night and fired a grand total of 8 rounds, cleaning after every two. We just wanted to get a feel for her and find our pressure limit. Right now we are going to try 140 gr of H50BMG under the 300 SMK.

Here are a few pics of the rifle on the bench (which is still under construction):
SnyderHunt06018.jpg

SnyderHunt06017.jpg

SnyderHunt06016.jpg

SnyderHunt06015.jpg

SnyderHunt06014.jpg

SnyderHunt06013.jpg

Since I loaded all the ammo, I was up first. I must admit that I was a bit curious as to what it would be like to touch off 140 gr of powder. I placed the scope on a target we had place down close to the bottom of our target board. I then tapped the trigger. The gun let out a massive belch of air and hot gas.

Everyone else said the consussion was unbelievable, but to me it seemed very mild. I guess the 40" bbl gets the blast far away that it tames it a bit. It honesltly was more comfortable to shoot than my 30" bbl 270 AM. The recoil was nothing. The gun simply rolled back about 4-5".

We were about 9" high @ 100 yds and seeing as how we have no more down adj. that is where we left her. We then moved out to 500 yds and determined that we were about 15" high. I watched Lerch's first shot and the trace was unbelievable!! I've never seen a trace so clearly. I've also never seen a trace while shooting @ a 500 yd target that appeared to be still rising!!! This thing shoots flat as a laser!!!

We decided to work on the gong @ 500 yds w/the last 4 rounds. It is a 3/8" plate attached to a T post w/a piece of pipe. Here are the results:

Front side
SnyderHunt06019.jpg

back side:
SnyderHunt06020.jpg

She's kinda hard on our steel targets!!!

HA HA HA BJ NEEDS A HIGH CHAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The bench is kinda given us fits as you can see from our grouping. We will get her ironed out this next week and then we can really get to work. The thwack this sucker makes on steel if freaking awesome!!!!!!!

The trace that was visable in the swaro spotter was amazing and even better there was no arc in the trace, laser flat!!!!

steve

Fantastic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I like your color combination on the stock. Good choice. Proportion wise it looks kinda deceiving given the massive size of the whole gun. Components work well together and it looks like the down range performance is pretty good also. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Looks like you guys had better go out and find some AR500 or at least back off 1000 + yards for your steel shooting. At least there won't be any arguments as to who's gun put the hole in the steel.

I'd say you guys have a winner!!! Keep us posted on the upcoming bullet launches and also let us know what you think of the scope mount.

It was a long wait but it looks like the fun is about to start. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Congratulations to both of you guys on a beautiful gun.

That is an impressive barrel. It is hard to really grasp just how big it is.

I see the little one is doing well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8 down and 992 to go.

Good job guys.
beerchug.gif

Can't wait to hear where the trajectory starts back down. Have you crunched the numbers yet and come up with an approximate minimum zero and a max distance that you will be able to put the horizontal crosshair on?

I run a 100 yard zero on mine and run out of dial at 2450 and run out of reticule at 2725. The round is flatly amazing. I have video shooting a plate @ 600 and the trace is pretty flat, I didn't start to see any realtrace drop until I started shooting my 1148 gong.

[ QUOTE ]
Have you crunched the numbers yet and come up with an approximate minimum zero and a max distance that you will be able to put the horizontal crosshair on?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think our 0 is going to be somewhere around 700 yds. We'll see though. It's going to be too **** windy to do load development this weekend but hopefully we'll get another good evening next week.

Seems a little disappointing that the Ivey rings don't have any "down" built into them. I would think that since they are so high that they would have taken it into account.

edge.

I guess I should have asked if your Base has any MOA's built in but i assumed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif that with the Ivey that would not be needed.

[ QUOTE ]
I run a 100 yard zero on mine and run out of dial at 2450 and run out of reticule at 2725. The round is flatly amazing. I have video shooting a plate @ 600 and the trace is pretty flat, I didn't start to see any realtrace drop until I started shooting my 1148 gong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy Crap!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
guess I should have asked if your Base has any MOA's built in but i assumed that with the Ivey that would not be needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has a 40 MOA BAT rail on it. When you want to shoot as far as we are thinking, you need every minute you can get!!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.