.338 AM So Close Yet So Far

joecool

It's close but yet so far. Kirby sent some pictures!! But do to poor weather condition they weren't that good at least not to be posted for all to see that is so hopefully when Kirby has a chance he will post some pictures for you all to see. I think this will be Kirby's first medium weight rifle. In his .338 AM. The specs are and I might have missed something how knows. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Lilja 1.450" straight cylinder 34" barrel, fluted with 3/8" wide flutes
BAT 1.55" Model M receiver, Left hand bolt, left hand port
BAT 40 moa rail base
McMillan MBR Tooley stock
APS V-Block system
APS Muzzle brake
Rifle Basic Trigger
Night Force 8-32x56

[ QUOTE ]
Lilja 1.450" straight cylinder 34" barrel, fluted with 3/8" wide flutes

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing like a good mountain rifle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nothing swings smoother on a zig zagging coyote than a slightly front heavy 34" barrel with a 32 power scope on it. Of course the 338AM should be able to put one down clean. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Yep I was looking for a light weight quick handling rifle and I believe Kirby has built me one./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hired Gun,

Should be around 30 lbs ready to shoot. The flutes are actually 7/16" flutes. I had Dan tool up for some very large flutes, they just look much better on these big barrels. A 1/4" flute just looks silly, as does a 5/16" flute unless you have 8 of them.

The flutes are not black, they just look that way in the pics because they are so **** deep!!!

Its -28 degrees here this morning with wind chill factor in the -40 degree range. I was hoping to get some range testing done today, not likely though. Maybe tommorow or Friday. I suspect there will not be to many rounds down this barrel before realizing its a shooter. If the first three rounds at 1/2 mile do not break 4" I will be amazed!!

This rifle has a hybrid Barrel bedding V-Block design I designed specifically for the BAT 8.5" M receiver. The receiver is pillar bedded with three pillars and then the barrel is cradled by a 3" V-Block roughly 3" ahead of the receiver. This is by far the most stable bedding design I have played with so far. I can put must of my weight on that muzzle and it will not squat down into the barrel channel AT ALL!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Your right, nothing swings smoother then a rifle of this weight. Thats because you let it sit there until the **** yote gets out there 2000 yards and things he's safe, then you vent him with a 300 gr pill!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]

I can put must of my weight on that muzzle and it will not squat down into the barrel channel AT ALL!!

Kirby Allen(50)

[/ QUOTE ]

Kirby are you doing chin-ups on my barrel to keep warm?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

isnt a 3" block a little small for hanging the barrel off of? Or is the action mounted also? I have been eyeballing Shehanes barrel blocks, which his small is 6 in. To me part of the strength is from having a larger area and holes farther apart.
at the bottem of the page:http://www.scopeusout.com/accessories.htm
I have really been thinking about building a 36-38" barrel blocked savage with a non tapered 1.12" barrel for next years deer season.

Robber,

The receiver is Pillar bedded as well. Basically from the rear receiver screw to the front of the V-Block it is bedded solid to three pillars and the V-Block. The total length of the bedding surface is 14" including receiver length.

If you go with a barrel length that long and large in diameter you will definately need a barrel bedding block and it would be best in your case to totally float the receiver of your Savage. An 8-9" V-Block is what I would use for your rifle if I were building one similiar to that.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby you got any pics of those big flutes that an is doing for you?

What size flutes would you recomend for a #7 barrel

JDJones,

I will get some pics of the flutes when I get out to range test the rifle. We had 35-40 mph sustained winds today with gusts pushing over 60 mph so no range testing today!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

On a #7 contour if your using 6 flutes, 5/16 is about the largest you can use and still look good. Anything much wider and the flute ribs get very thin.

I will get some pics soon.

Kirby Allen(50)

I did a search but couldnt find the pics anymore. Dave tooley used to have a site that linked to wildcat custom rifles i believe with a bunch of pics of longrange guns and fairly detailed pics of large diam fluted barrels like you mentioned.
The looked very nice with large flutes.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.