First fox of the year. . .up close

Rifleman513

After a windy start to the day I decided to get some stuff done around the house and try to go call later this afternoon if the wind calmed down. I decided to go out about 3 o'clock and went to a new spot that I had been to but never called. I scouted out a place to setup that would give me a good vantage point and allow me to easily see behind me. The area has a very high population of lions and heard of two others this winter who had them come into there setups later in the evening.

Once in place I had my call down in the bottom of a small drainage and was perched on a rock outcropping about 40 feet above. I started with some locator howls then went to a woodpecker distress on the electronic call. I have been trying to use different sounds other than the typical rabbit distress sounds that I feel these animals always hear on our public lands. About 10 minutes after continually looking over my shoulder I caught a flash of fur through some scrub brush. Initially my thoughts were "big cat" since it came up from behind me through the bush without a sound. After a few seconds I caught a good glimpse of it and noticed it was a fox. He was coming up the the edge of the rocks to see what was going on down below. He came within about 12 feet of me before taking off. Once he started trotting off I stood up and turned around as he topped the hill behind me and started doing some lip squeaks. Sure enough he came back over exposing the front half of his body and I was able to pull a quick shot at about 40 feet. He did about two or three quick spins and then dropped right in a patch of cholla.

The picture is not great but a 243 at 40 feet on a small fox is plenty in case you were wondering.
D090E87D-664D-4DD0-8740-68B3E70E61FC.jpeg

Last edited:
We don't get foxes to come in very often but I can say from my limited experience either calling or catching them crossing a dirt road where I can squeak or whistle at them is they are very curious. In my opinion much more so than coyotes or bobcats.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.