First Father Son Antelope Hunt

borf722

I have been reading and studying everything I can on public land hunting for Antelope in WY for weeks (2019 season) Looking at maps, got onX chip, studied draw results and have realized all the zones I have a chance at without preference points have limited public land. I have been looking at 20,22,23,24,8,9,6,17,16. As soon as I think I have found a spot I read where someone says not to waste my time. We are willing to walk. I would love to find a place where we could get a antelope buck and doe tag. Doesn't have to be the same place. Better yet throw in a mule deer tag as well. He turns 13 this year and this is something he has been talking about a while. Any help would be appreciated.

Many will tell you, a guide isn't necessary for antelope, and that's correct. However, there are those that have leased a lot of private ground making zero points less of an issue.

SNS Outfitters is one of those, I don't know what you can afford, but at 13 the kids get real active, schedules fill up etc. A phone call wouldn't hurt, and if you go or don't you'll learn something.

Aaaah! Please don't ruin him by going with a guide.
Teach him how to hunt not how to buy one.

I agree. Would do guided hunt on private also for a first time with a young man. It will be fun, exciting, with a ton of antelope. Take the pressure off you so you and your son can have a great time. Then you both will have gained valuable experience and will be saving points and dreaming about that next chance to hunt antelope.

......Aaaah! Please don't ruin him by going with a guide.......Teach him how to hunt not how to buy one.

He'll learn more what to do on hunts with a good guide, as opposed to learning what not not to do stumbling around on a DIY fiasco. Especially if that DIY opportunity is such he can't secure a tag, and he's on the couch with an X-Box.

I've played the draw game, in multiple states, for coming on to 40 years, and the unfortunate reality is deciding to use guides where, and when it fits is the smartest decision I've made.

Short of making points inheritable, or commercial transferable, you young guys best hopes may be for us old $#&! to quit or die. Not much of a plan.

A good plan well executed, beat the perfect plan that never gets started every time.

Some of those areas can be really tough as there is very limited access and a LOT of hunters. Where I hunted this past season was very congested, even when trying to walk miles off the beaten path... yes, for lopes.
I would concentrate on one species unless guided, especially first hunt. For the most part, muley and antelope prefer different hangouts and you will have to split your time and commitment to pursue both. It can be done, but I would go on one first and get a feel of what you need to look for.
Best of luck to you and your son. It is doable and you have a good chance at a couple lopes if you do your homework.

I will check in to the guide you suggested, but I am pretty sure it will be cost prohibitive and if he's doesn't work I have had read just as many fiasco stories about guides that over promise and can't deliver. Assuming it's not an option to use a guide... any tips other than get a chip, prepare to walk and shoot long... I would rather be on my own with my son than with someone I don't know even if odds drop in half. I am not trying to get you to do my homework, but I can't confirm anything on the ground before application/season and would love a little more confidence that even if it isn't easy, I can make for a good experience. Thank you again for the help.

One of my best friends talked me into going to Kaycee in 2017 . When I say talked into , I mean dropped off about ten or fifteen pounds of meat to try ! That sealed the deal ! I took my wife boys and father in-law , all armed with 2 doe tags apiece ! My oldest son rode with my friend who had a buck and two doe tags ! By the time we got there Sunday , him and my son had put ched all but the buck tag ! So he took both of my boys with h and tried to explain how to hunt using my new onx map . He says 30 feet off the road to shoot . I didn't understand the fences at first . Every drop of ground, public or private, has hog wire around it ? Took me a bit to figure that one out ! I was nervous about all the fences and thought I was next to private property . I wasn't ! As long as your map says public , at least my onx map was , your gold ! The fences , every one , was at least 30 feet off the road ! Not exactly saying use it as a rest , but from a legal point , you could ! Anyway , there are plenty of places to turn off and get into the land and can walk for miles , which I think is what your looking for , a bonding experience ! Don't look away from the doe tags , I think the meat is better ! We deboned everything in the field all the way down to the rib meat and I don't think we ever packed much over 45 pounds off of any one animal ! We stayed and hunted 4 days and finally figured it out on the 3rd . Of course this was after both my boys tagged out and my friend rode with us and showed us the errors I had been making ! We ended up with both boys tagging out early , my wife getting her very first "big game animal " , at 60 yards ( proving not all shots are long ) and my father in-law and I both getting one apiece ! No , we didn't tag out , but I sure can't stop thinking about that hunt ! We were going back this year initially but my friend tried to be Evil Kinieval and broke seven ribs jumping a bike ..... Well I guess I'll see you down there in 2019 , friend sold the bike and even if he borrows one and does it again , I guess I'll have to go without him !

This is C/Pd straight from the Wyoming Hunting Regulations on where it's illegal to discharge a firearm: "Public Road or Highway" (except as otherwise provided) means any roadway that is open to vehicular travel by the public. The road surface, the area between the fences on a fenced public road or highway, and an area thirty (30) feet perpendicular to the edge of the road surface on an unfenced public road or highway shall be considered the public road or highway. Two-track trails on public lands are not public roads." The member below made a couple of misstatements in his post that I bolded. I have no idea why he made the first statement because there are as many or more places where the property line lies that aren't fenced than are. The second comment can definitely get you into problems because there is no way you can legally shoot off a fencepost that is along a public road because you would be standing within the right of way. Tickets can be given for doing that as well as from shooting close to the road and not further than 30 feet from the edge along unfenced portions of a public road. Most GWs in Wyoming would probably issue a verbal warning if they saw either of those violations. However, they have the discretion to issue a ticket. I have seen the Montana GWs issue a ticket for shooting off a fence post along a public road on the TV show "Wardens"! I just got back from a two month hunting trip in Wyoming like I do most years after I retired from LE in 2002 and this was the 20th straight season that I've hunted out there.

One of my best friends talked me into going to Kaycee in 2017 . When I say talked into , I mean dropped off about ten or fifteen pounds of meat to try ! That sealed the deal ! I took my wife boys and father in-law , all armed with 2 doe tags apiece ! My oldest son rode with my friend who had a buck and two doe tags ! By the time we got there Sunday , him and my son had put ched all but the buck tag ! So he took both of my boys with h and tried to explain how to hunt using my new onx map . He says 30 feet off the road to shoot . I didn't understand the fences at first . Every drop of ground, public or private, has hog wire around it ? Took me a bit to figure that one out ! I was nervous about all the fences and thought I was next to private property . I wasn't ! As long as your map says public , at least my onx map was , your gold ! The fences , every one , was at least 30 feet off the road ! Not exactly saying use it as a rest , but from a legal point , you could ! Anyway , there are plenty of places to turn off and get into the land and can walk for miles , which I think is what your looking for , a bonding experience ! Don't look away from the doe tags , I think the meat is better ! We deboned everything in the field all the way down to the rib meat and I don't think we ever packed much over 45 pounds off of any one animal ! We stayed and hunted 4 days and finally figured it out on the 3rd . Of course this was after both my boys tagged out and my friend rode with us and showed us the errors I had been making ! We ended up with both boys tagging out early , my wife getting her very first "big game animal " , at 60 yards ( proving not all shots are long ) and my father in-law and I both getting one apiece ! No , we didn't tag out , but I sure can't stop thinking about that hunt ! We were going back this year initially but my friend tried to be Evil Kinieval and broke seven ribs jumping a bike ..... Well I guess I'll see you down there in 2019 , friend sold the bike and even if he borrows one and does it again , I guess I'll have to go without him !

Last edited:
For borf722---I sent you a personal message over on Hunttalk a couple days ago answering all your questions and telling you exactly where to apply for a buck tag as well as doe tags if you decide to get them too. Trust me and go that route with your boy and you'll have a great trip.

Aaaah! Please don't ruin him by going with a guide.
Teach him how to hunt not how to buy one.

Why can't he learn to hunt from a guide? In my situation, I know nothing of any management units out west. A diy hunt for me would be doomed from the start. I plan on hiring a guide so that I can learn and eventually go diy.

Not sure where the problem is ? 30 feet off the road is exactly how I read it as well , and for that matter exactly how the GW I ran into down there said it as well ? Just curious . I am former LE as well and don't do things to get someone in trouble . The GW specifically said " use the fence post to rest your rifle on it's more than 30 feet off the road ".

Not sure where the problem is ? 30 feet off the road is exactly how I read it as well , and for that matter exactly how the GW I ran into down there said it as well ? Just curious . I am former LE as well and don't do things to get someone in trouble . The GW specifically said " use the fence post to rest your rifle on it's more than 30 feet off the road ".

First off, in no way did I intimate that you were intentionally trying to get anyone into trouble and it's rather curious that you now say you just happened to run into a GW that discussed exactly what we're discussing here! Please reread the statute I quoted above because I am correct in my post. The 30' minimum is the right of way distance from the edge of the road for an "Unfenced" right of way. If the right of way is fenced, the fence and it's posts might be twice that distance from the edge of the road and you would still have to go across the fence before you would be legal to shoot. If what you say is true, the fence post was either not a part of the right of way and was more than 30' from the edge of the road, or the GW gave you incorrect information based on the way he/she is enforcing the law.

Never said it was part of the right of way , said the fences , every one we could shoot around was always 30 plus fetf off the road . If you reread MY post you'll see I said it was always 30 feet off the road . And further more I would be days describing the entire trip . I'm sure there is tons of information that the original op could use and I don't have all of it just some. So how about sticking to answering the question instead of being the thread police. Borf722 , as I originally stated 30 feet is the limit and I know in unit 22 every drop of shootable land is fenced at least 30 feet off . Most of them have drive through areas or even small roads to get into better vantage points. If you'd like more info pm me . I don't have much desire to run any negativity through your thread . I whole heartedly think spending that father son time is important especially at that young age , he'll love it ! Kaycee is a good wheel hub with 4 units coming by very close . We always hunted the NW unit out of Kaycee . But my friend had a tag SE . 13 I think. Pm me if you have questions.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.