First Build

406pat

Hey all,

I just got word from Shilen that the barrel I ordered for my first build is on its way! This well kick off my first build of this type and my first Savage rebarrel.

Just wanted to see if anyone out there had any advice, words of wisdom, tips or tricks for pulling a Savage Barrel and putting a new one on. (The action that I have is actually a Stevens 200) I've already got the barrel wrench and tools for the job. I've been meaning to pull the stock barrel for a while now but I've got 3 other projects on the burner that have been taking up most of my time (Got a pretty sick Mosin Nagant sporter about to come off the bench right now).

The barrel that's coming in is a Shilen 30 incher that's already threaded and chambered. The donor rifle was bought brand new and chambered in .270. I'm rebarreling to .300 RUM and have already changed out bolt heads to accomodate the larger round. All that's really left is to switch barrels and bed the thing in the stock.

Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone!

-PJS

Got the old barrel off and put the new one on. Man that barrel did NOT want to come off of there. After spinning the bluing off in my barrel vise I gave up and finally used a pipe wrench to get it off. Once it was off, it looked like some of the bluing solution had gotten into the threads and I suspect that was the culprit leading to the hard removal. Didn't get the chance to take any pics last night. Planning on getting a little more done tonight and if I do I'll put some pics up.

Anybody want a .270 take off that has never been fired?

It Has the bluing rubbed off near the shank and a few scratches, both purely cosmetic. I can put up a few pictures if anyone wants.

This is the worst of what's on the shank

14iiv5w.jpg

Here's the whole barrel

2mm5k7b.jpg

Another one of the shank

smaow1.jpg

As far as a price, how's $50 shipped? If that doesn't work make an offer.

I would have bought, lol. But... I have to buy a new truck right now, so money is going to be tight. My other truck is junked, needs all new brakes, lines, bearings, etc. Not worth it to fix.

Sorry.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.