First Build- 6.5x284

zgardner

I have been lurking around here for a bit now trying to soak in as much info as possible and have few questions.

I know a few people have been very kind in answering questions and I have a few more.

I'm really interested in building or buying a 6.5x284 and I am trying to figue out which way to go.

The overall purpose for this gun would be to shoot speedgoats and mule deer at extended range, have it take an elk every once in a while, be able to take black bear at extended range and overall have fun shooting out to 1,000.

I have many coyote rigs and my go to hunting rig would be a .257 weatherby.

Does it make sense to build or buy a 6.5x284 or should ya go with a 7mm or 300wm?

Next questions:

6.5x284- Caliber in question

Option 1- Buy a 111 LRH and replace the stock with a Tactical stock from Stockade? Yes or No?

Option 2- Buy a 110 Preadtor and replace the stock with a Tactical stock from Stockade? Yes or No?

Option 3- Build off of a long action Savage that would have to be bought?

Which route would be the best? I do not have a long action available at the moment so I would have to buy a gun for the project.

What kind of expenses would be involved in building one off of a savge action?
Something that would be rather accurate and doesn't break the bank?
Let's say around $1000.00 for the project.

I have been researching on Savage Shooters a bit aswell and have a few questions about a post I saw?

Here is the specs to the gun:
Action: Stevens LA (CF)
Recoil Lug: NSS
Trigger: Rifle Basix SAV-1, 2-1/2 lb, polished to mirror finish
Caliber: 6.5x284 Norma
Barrel: McGowan 26", Heavy Varmint Contour, 1:8", 11 Deg crown
Scope Base: Nightforce One Piece Steel, 20 MOA
Scope Rings: Nightforce MED (1.0"), Steel
Scope: Nightforce NXS, 5.5x22x50
Stock: Choate Tactical
Bottom Metal: CDI Precision Gunworks Inletting & Fitting
Magazines: AICS 300 Win Mag magazines modified by CDI
Bi-Pod: Harris

and a few pics:
http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff492/rv7pilot/IMG_3092_s.jpg

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff492/rv7pilot/IMG_3093_s.jpg

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff492/rv7pilot/IMG_3094_s.jpg

What do you think it would take to make a gun comparable to this that shoots well?

What kind of weight we talking?

Can a rookie make this happen?

Thanks for all the help

zgardner,
Glad to have you here on LRH. Didn't see your post or I would have answered earlier. If I were in your situation I would go with the 111 LR Hunter and shoot it till I had to change something on it. It is a nice rifle from the git-go and I just had one in my hands the other day. If I didn't already own a Savage in 6.5-284 I would definately try to procure it. Not sure where you are at but the rifle I am speaking of is at the Neuse Sport Shop in Kinston, NC. It is listed for $795.00 with a 10% discount. Not too bad a price for a fine shooting iron like that!

This is a good caliber, even better if you are set up for reloading. Not sure how much factory or custom ammo for this caliber will run you. Bullets and powder are expensive enough but the brass is steeper than some. I bought Lapua and I haven't regretted it. It is superb brass.

Savage also has the 12 BenchRest and F Class. They are a little more expensive and a bit heavier. These two could be a handful chasing goats across the prairies or mulies up/down mountains.

You could build a rifle with the specs you laid out but it would take a while and, I imagine, probably cost more than the 111 LRH. Then there's the wait..........life's too short to wait that long. Barrels and stock's can run in to the month(s) for quality items. $1000.00 is a do-able custom rifle budget but leaves very little wiggle room for glass.

Not trying to discourage your from building your custom rifle but if I were in your shoes, I'd buy now, build later. Keep us up on what you do. JohnnyK.

It's too late to type a lengthy reply. However, if you'd like to call, I'll be happy to discuss your goals and share my expertise.

I shoot 6.5-284's, also using them for LR deer, antelope, varmints, and occasional elk. It's a superbly accurate round, easy to load, very light recoil, and excellent terminal performance on game using 140 Berger VLD's. One of my rifles is a Savage LRH, and I know of a few other shooters that have one as well. They all shoot .25-.5 MOA with pretty standard load recipes. In the rare case it didn't shoot, you could rebarrel it with a custom barrel and still be at less the cost of a custom. I had planned on restocking mine, but it shot so well with the original stock, I just left it. It only required some relieving if material that contacted the barrel at the forearm tip. It's light enough for practical hunting, while still having enough weight to shoot accurately at 1000 yards.
IMHO

I have limited experience with this but I recently bought a 6.5-284 in a savage model 116 stainless, with 24" fluted barrel. It has the accustock, accutrigger, and fit and finish have been quite decent in my opinion. It is a custom hot rod, no, is it a nice rifle, yep. With help from fellows such as Greyfox and my buddy we worked up a quick hunting load and this rifle is shooting quite well. For example, we chrono'd a 140 berger vld hunting at 2975, it is shooting .4 MOA or less at my 200 yard zero. Not bad. I finally took it out to 970 yards to try and verify ballistics and shot 2 rounds. Those two rounds were within 3" of each other. I think the chrono is wrong because the rounds are low. I will work up some new loads and test again, adjust program, leave it. Easy enough. If I do my job this caliber and rifle seem to be doing their job.

The pro of the savage is simply if you get a good rifle it will likely shoot well and serve you well. In my case I paid 700.00 for this rifel, it is stainless, and in the future I can install a proof research etc custom barrel and know the action, stock, and trigger are adequate to get the job done with a high amount of confidence.

For a budget build you might consider buying a stainless savage long action, have a shilen or something similar built, and add a decent stock. You can probably do all that for 1000-1100. Will it shoot better? Maybe, I am not experienced enough to know, it will probably last longer.

Thanks for all the replies.

Many suggestions to take in. It seems as if I should lean towards the stock gun.

Grit in the next few days I will get ahold of you to discuss some options. Thanks for offering your insight.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.