First Blood With my 6.5 Creedmoor

Browninglover1

I recently had a 6.5 Creedmoor put together by Lorenzo at DPG. After a few months of limited shooting time I came up with a load that shoots lights out using the 140 grain Nosler Custom Competition. This load will keep 5 shots under 1/2 MOA at 100 yards with boring consistency.

I finally got to take it out rock chuck hunting last weekend. We got to our shooting spot a little late and I was afraid that we might not have an opportunity for a shot, but after 10 minutes we spotted this guy on a rock at 450 yards. I dialed up and sent the first shot right over him and he quickly went off the back side of the rocks.

About 15 minutes later he snuck up to the next group of rocks and began to sun himself in the last few rays of sunshine. I ranged him at 456 dialed down 0.25 MOA from my previous shot, held on his nose to let the wind carry the bullet 4 or 5 inches into his midsection and touched off the round. I recovered from the recoil in time to watch him fly about 6 feet through the air. My little sister was spotting and had never seen such acrobatics, she laughed until her eyes watered!

We hiked over to get a glory shot and discovered I had punched him dead center! On the way back out she was able to shoot at one at 550 and just missed it due to her idiot spotter (me) not giving her a wind call. She literally hit within 2 inches of its head and knocked it over from the rock fragments that hit its face. If I would have told her to hold 1 minute of wind she would have joined the 500 yard club on her first try.

456 Chuck.jpg

6.5 Creedmor, probably one of THE best cartridges in the world for long range use on medium to small game.

And it's just fantastic for long range competition due to the 6.5's high BC for fighting crosswinds. Not a 6.5-284 for velocity but also not a barrel burner either!

6.5 Creedmor, probably one of THE best cartridges in the world for long range use on medium to small game.

And it's just fantastic for long range competition due to the 6.5's high BC for fighting crosswinds. Not a 6.5-284 for velocity but also not a barrel burner either!

+1 on that!!!! I LOVE my Creedmoor! Its an awesome cartridge for young shooters as well with still the power to give some knock down power. Ive shot a few critters with it and it hits like a hammer.

I first become familiar with the Creedmoor when I bought a Savage Predator. The cartridge was just so much fun I decided to sell that gun and build my first custom in the same caliber. This custom rifle is a whole new animal and it is an absolute delight to shoot.

Now that I have a "heavy" Creedmoor I really have the itch to build a lighter carry rifle in the same caliber. Can a guy have too many guns in the same caliber? :D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.