First AR purchase

TAWS

I am getting ready to purchase my first AR and would like to find the most Accurate out of the box, over the counter, AR on the market. It will be in .223/5.56 and will be used for Varmints and Hogs. I will probably not shoot anything much heavier than the 62 grain or so bullet. I am looking at a DPMS with flattop w/ a 22 to 24 inch stainless barrel 1-9 twist and Pit/rail for a scope (63 year old eyes) etc. I will need to have a little better than the normal 6 or so pound trigger pull, so if there is an option for this so much the better. Any comments as to brand, or make. Does DPMS make a quality product?

AR's

Taws, in the AR world they are all about the same, everyone except OLY buy parts from a pool of vendors and assemble them, so basicly they are all parts house guns. Personaly I like an 8 twist, they seem to shoot lighter stuff as well as the 9's and terminal performace is better due to the higher rate of spin.
stick with the big players and you'll be happy, check the warranty's and shop around, I know RRA and OLY have lifetime warranty's not sure about the rest. about all reports on RRA is favorable, DPMS ain't bad either, bushy is hit and miss (this is what I've read, don't own one) currently I have RRA, J&T, Tromix, and OLY in 223's, 25 wssm, and 458 socom.
Good luck with your choice.
RR

I would look no further than Rock River Arms or RRA. Their Varmint A4 models have 3/4 MOA accuracy guarantee and come loaded with "upgraded" components. They have a Wylde chamber that is safe or .223 or 5.56, 2 stage trigger that is very nice, Wilson "Match" barrel, Hogue grip and did I mention the accuracy guarantee?
Welcome to Rock River Arms' Online Show Room

The RRA Varmint A4 has a 1:8 twist which will stabize heavy bullets. My RRA shoots 60gr V Max into the same hole. My buddy has a RRA Varmint A4 in 20" and it shoots the 50gr bullets quite well. I'd say the 1:8 is pretty versitile.

I'm by no means an AR expert but I have shot RRA, DPMS, and Bushmaster ARs.

I will tell you the DPMS (.204) had the worst trigger of any rifle I have ever shot. It may have been an isolated case and I'm not bashing DPMS but I actually quit trying to pull the trigger and looked at the safety to make sure that I had disengaged it. My buddy that owns the rifle started laughing; he was standing there waiting for me to check the safety because he knew the trigger is "stiff". The trigger felt like it broke at 20lbs. I will admit that 5 shot groups were about an inch and a trigger is easy enough to fix/replace.

The Bushmaster's trigger is sloppy, creepy and has a lot of slack before breaking. The accuracy was good but not great.

I'll second RRA. Have shot a friends with junk Russian ammo, very accurate, sub-min. My personal AR is an older Gold Eagle match rifle from Armilite, shoots sub-min also.
db

I got a Rock River varminter to hunt coyote and it didn`t take but 1 trip to the field to see my mistake. Way to heavy to carry. I bought a liter upper, also RR, made it a flat top, put a 3 x 9 Leupold on it and a shell catcher. Now it`s my dream gun for running coyotes with dog. Fast and accurate.

Last edited:
I've got a couple friends that have the bushmaster varminters and they both shoot sub MOA. but like said earlier, they are all a lot a like.

I've got a custom built upper that is 18", and I've shot 1 hole 5 shot groups at a 100yds with my handloads before. It's my most accurate gun I own, and I own some good ones.

It's kind of weird that they shoot so good, because they seem kind of sloppy, as far as fit goes.

they are fun guns, so have fun

Look at Rock River. I have a 16" elite M4 with quad rail, can quickly chage from leupold 3-9 or Eotech. There fit and finish is excellent, no gaps or rattles. Excellent 2 stage trigger. If I were getting a third AR I would get the 20" varmint model. Rock River is all I'll buy from now on.

My firsh AR was a Bushmaster varminter. 24" barrel and shoots 1/2 moa or smaller all day. Although I would prefer something lighter and shorter to carry.

If you happen to be buget minded grab a shoot gun news. You can save about half on the cost. I've put together (can't really call it..."build") a number of them and they all shoot great. Seems the last one i put together cost me about $550. I "built" it for hog hunting and it's chambered in 7.62X39. I got the 20" barrel to milk the most out of the cartiage. It shoots! I "built" it for the wife and she can keep most inside 3/4"...I guess you guys call that .75?

The mags are hard to come by, but I did get some that work perfectly!

It's worth a look...ammo is still pretty cheap too!

i have a colt AR target match II heavy barrel with a jewel trigger that shoots 1/2 min at 100 yd i use it to shoot hogs at night and have killed a couple of turkeys with it one of them running at 75 yds. captn c how is the tuna bite out of galveston been kinda spotty down here

i have a colt AR target match II heavy barrel with a jewel trigger that shoots 1/2 min at 100 yd i use it to shoot hogs at night and have killed a couple of turkeys with it one of them running at 75 yds. captn c how is the tuna bite out of galveston been kinda spotty down here
Hey stx,
I know some guys who went out today, but not got a report yet. During periods of calm weather they have been doing very well. Another buddy went on the La Pesca over the weekend and it was pretty rough. They had only 4 YFT, they fished the same rigs we do up here...Boomvang.

Here is a pic of the AR-7.62X39 that I made for the wife and the AK in the fore ground is my short range hog:

DSC00430_sm.jpg

BTW-I also built the AK...I doubt I have much over 1K in the pair as they sit!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.