Firefox slow to load pages

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
I have been chasing my tail for weeks trying to problem solve this issue. Today I discovered it was due to Firefox 2.00.11.

As an example, it took 3 minutes to fully load all the GooglemapME location pins. With IE it takes 15 seconds. My slowness problem started sometime in the last month or two and I was unable to put my finger on just what had happened. It may have come at the last time I upgraded Firefox, I just don't know.

Another wierd thing was that the Googlemap appeared with a window pane look to it in FF. This was true also with the maps of Mapquest.com and with the Google search engine maps. Not so with IE.

Has anyone else seen the same issues with FF? About 10% of us are usiing FF and not IE.

UPDATE: I just downloaded the FF3 beta version and it works well, slightly faster than IE7. So the problem was in my upgrade to FF 2.00.11 a month or two ago. I am glad to back with FF.

Last edited:
I use Firefox and have noticed the same sluggish page loading. I thought it was my machine or connection.

Len:

For me it's the other way around. I have been using Firefox "forever". For me, Firefox is far faster than IE doing anything on long range hunting. I was using 2.0.0.11 but I just went back to 2.0.0.8 to see if there is any difference and, for me, there was no difference, so I'll go back to 2.0.0.11. I have too many extensions/addons, and with the beta versions a lot of them won't work.

A lot of times a problem can come up in your profile when using Firefox. You might try a new profile and see if that makes any difference.

Len
I have the opposite problem. IE loads very slow so I use Firefox to view these forums. I have never cared for Mozilla in fact the only time I use it is to view this forum I also don't care for IE 7, too much like Mozilla. If I surf the web using Linux I use Konqueror for a browser.
James

I'm using FF 2.0.0.11 and everything is fast, although I use some add-ons to eliminate some of the unnecessary traffic. I even turned all my add-ons off and it's still fast.

AJ

It work great for me with firefox but it works even faster with opera. It loaded map and pins for me in 6 seconds with opera and 9 with firefox.

Just got a new lap top and IE was kinda slow on it so i downloaded firefox and it is blazin fast for me on this a several other pages

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.