Fire 7 mag factory ammo in 7mm Mashburn?

pig ranch deadeye

I was wondering whether in a pinch you could fire 7mm Rem Mag ammo in a 7mm Mashburn chamber. The Mashburn cartridge is about .12 inch longer overall. For instance, if you arrive at your hunting destination with your 7mm mashburn gun but your ammo does not arrive, could you get by with the 7mm Mag ammo? I suspect it might work. After all, the belt would provide "toenail headspace."

Those of you who have the 7mm Mashburn should try this, as an experiment. I don't think it would do any harm to the gun or the chamber, but I wouldn't expect much accuracy! I imagine the fired cartridge case would retain very little neck. The ordinary procedure is to fire form the 7 Mashburn round by starting with a necked-down .300 Win Mag Case. The experiment I am proposing would be the same procedure, but starting out with the wrong case, and nothing more than a stop-gap measure to save a hunt.

Noooooooo!
You will end up with a straight walled cartridge.
Although this has been done accidentally by many, such as firing a 300WM in a 300 Bee chamber with no ill effects.
I would never do this deliberately.

Cheers.

I am not really saying DELIBERTELY. Don't forget your ammo on purose. I am just saying probably there would be no harm, although I doubt it would be accurate.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts