Finally went beyond 1000 yards

As I mentioned, the picture is turned incorrectly. I don't why but LRH seems to turn my pictures around, most show up updside down. I have taken pictures from multiple angles and it still screws them up. No clue. Regardless, I said it was low left to help understand the picture is not showing up correctly. Drives me nuts.

1 1/2" at 200 is 3/4 moa. Obviously if you are off 3/4 moa on your zero that will carry through on every shot at every distance. So at 1400 yards 3/4 moa would be about 11 inches.

Jeff

I was thinking the same thing. I am sure I read the wind wrong too but I was hoping to be at least within a kill zone. With that I was too far left and low to be a kill on an elk or deer. I didn't tape measure it but I was about 18" low and 30" left. Perhaps if my scope was dead on perfect it would have been something in the area of 18" left and 7" low. When I got up to the spot I noticed the wind was not blowing left to right in that area but rather up the draw toward the rock and then swirling around at the rock. DUH right? The wind tends to follow the terrain direction right? I think for about 1/2 the flight time it was blowing it right, then pretty much a lazy right to tail wind. I think I could have cut the MOA in half and been good.

I did send NF an email to discuss the issue. This is twice now the scope has not been dead on from the previous set up. From what I can tell this rifle is shooting about .35 MOA when I do a decent job of holding it right. I hope the scope is not damaged as I have 3 weeks left of wolf season.

Keep shooting, going to the target, and trying to figure where you were off. That will teach you better than any internet discussion. Also keep notes and shoot where you hunt. Would you agree that the next time you shot from that location you would feel more confident in your first round? I would.

Also realize a shot past 1000 on game in any wind is tough, and gets tougher with every yard. I have 1000's of rounds down range past 1000 yards, but my actual game kills past 1000 is around a dozen. It takes very good field conditions for me engage an animal past 1000. I have been very fortunate that every one have been one shot kills. But I shoot enough to know my abilities and when to abort the shot. The good thing about practicing at 1500 is it greatly increases the percentage of the 1000 yards shots you have offered to you.

Jeff

I am thinking here about your group. I would try a 6 or 9 shot group, shot in 3 shot sessions allowing the barrel to cool between 3 shots but all using the same point of aim. Also adjust out ALL parallax first.

What I want to see is if the rifle will double group and move to 2 different impact points. If so I would first remove the scope and check all mounting for movement.

What rail base is this?
Rings?
Did you bed the rail on?

Jeff

I agree. I was trying to stretch it out and see how it all performed at a range that tests the whole package...me included. It is all a learning event for me at the longer ranges and with higher wind. I am shooting in the areas I hunt as well. I know that the mountain terrain I am shooting in is the best training method. It pretty quickly lets you know that long range is a whole different level of shooting. Ami made the comment as she was spotting, this is not easy is it. I said, well, that and it is kind of humbling. DS

I figure if the wind is more than 5 mph I need to try and stick with 1000 or less for now. I had a wolf at 700 earlier that morning and conditions were dead on, 5 mph wind from directly behind us, slight up hill, no ravines to cross, literally a range, twist, and squeeze deal. The dang thing decided to head after another group of elk and was well out of range by the time I got to a new spot to shoot.

Weaver picatinny. Not bedded.
Leupold PRW rings.

Seems tight. Have not noticed any slack.

If you did notice any "slack" you would be shooting off in yards not inches. We are looking for a thousands or two.

I would think about the test I recommended. If it double groups then look at mounting first, and bed the rail. If you have the rail off and you see where it is moving making tracks you could have found your problem.

Then once the mounting is covered a scope swap could be in order. I have yet to have a NF issue. But as I have posted before I sure have seen plenty of low cost rail and ring issues. That said I have never used the rail you have.

One thing is for sure. If your combination will not hold a dead nutz zero, you will never be proficient on first round hits. That is gospel.

Jeff

Talked to NF. They are 4 weeks out if I have a scope problem.

I will do as you and they suggest, box test, base, and rings, all double checked. Thanks for the help!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.