Finally made up my mind on a build. Now for scope?

Ryeguy

After browsing this site for a year and contemplating every option. I finally had LPR start building a 338 edge. Defiance action, mcmillin stock, proof barrel etc. this is my first high end rifle and I am stoked! The build is a lil more then I really wanted to spend but hey sometimes you just have to do it. Question is what would y'all recommend for a scope? I might have to wait a bit for funds for a good one. A lot of people here say NF but i would like a light weight as possible. As I will be packing rifle everywhere. New to the high end scopes so laymen terms plz. Mostly be used for elk country so close ups are a great possibility. But would love to be able to practice out to 1000. I would like one with turrets. And don't want to skimp on optics. Would anyone buy a used one or just get new?
The 3 makers that come to mind would be leupold, vortex, or night force. But open to suggestions. I know I will be spending 1500 or more.
Thanks in advance! Also gun will be black with burnt bronze webbing and metal. I see vortex has a bronze color scope. Might be cool looking?

After browsing this site for a year and contemplating every option. I finally had LPR start building a 338 edge. Defiance action, mcmillin stock, proof barrel etc. this is my first high end rifle and I am stoked! The build is a lil more then I really wanted to spend but hey sometimes you just have to do it. Question is what would y'all recommend for a scope? I might have to wait a bit for funds for a good one. A lot of people here say NF but i would like a light weight as possible. As I will be packing rifle everywhere. New to the high end scopes so laymen terms plz. Mostly be used for elk country so close ups are a great possibility. But would love to be able to practice out to 1000. I would like one with turrets. And don't want to skimp on optics. Would anyone buy a used one or just get new?
The 3 makers that come to mind would be leupold, vortex, or night force. But open to suggestions. I know I will be spending 1500 or more.
Thanks in advance! Also gun will be black with burnt bronze webbing and metal. I see vortex has a bronze color scope. Might be cool looking?
With a lightweight rifle in a heavy recoiling magnum like you're talking about it's a pretty short list of scopes that will stand up to such abuse.

I'd say you're probably limited to Leupold Mark 4's and 8's and NF along with Steiner Military and Vortex Razor unless you really want to break the bank.

That's and awful lot of shock so it's going to take a scope built like a tank to hold up.

Nightforce scopes are a little on the heavy side. But with that said it is what I carry on my hunting rifles. Just feel they are dependable and tough well put together scope. Yes I have purchased some used ones, can't tell the difference from the new ones. So in my opinion if I can find a good used one I wouldn't be afraid of it. Remember it's you that will have to live with your decision. Have never owned a Vortex, but have read a lot of good things about them, especially their customer service. Leupold has always been a good product. But for me it's Nightforce. One option for the Nightforce scopes would be the 3x10x42. They are considerably lighter and I would think a very good scope on a hunting rifle. Good luck with your new rifle and have fun.

If Dallas is building you a 338, then cry once and go with the NF. I would be afraid that anything less with that caliber and weight might put you at risk. Sure they are little heavier than some, but I don't want to take the chance n blowing a shot opportunity when that once in a lifetime bull presents itself.

As far as the Vortex, I have read a lot of good things about their customer service. However, it makes me curious to know why their are a lot of comments about the customer service....that many scopes or products returned for issues?

My understanding on the vortex is with them being a newer company in the game some of their first runs with both the PST and the first gen razor's had issues in either tracking or reticle being off. To my knowledge most of this is fixed now. As per a light wight scope I would look at the leupold mk 6, good quality, priced comparably with NF and Vortex, and the lightest of the bunch.

ryeguy

If you want a compact and relatively light weight scope for a hunting rifle that you will be packing all over the place, I suggest you rethink your interest in exposed turrets. Just saying that puts you in a less compact and potentially heavier scope and I don't see any practical benefit for long range work. It takes about 3 seconds to unscrew a turret cover on a low profile turret. At long range 3 seconds should not be an issue. You also don't have to worry about moving the turret off zero as you carry the rifle around (it does happen).

I have several scopes with exposed turrets and several with covers. My lighter compact rifles are all wearing the scopes with the covered turrets in keeping with the compact theme.

I don't really get the comments about beating up the scope with the 338 Edge. I assume you have a muzzle break and that will take the recoil down to 06 levels. I have 600 rounds through my 338 RUM and the Bushnell Elite it is wearing just keeps on ticking and Bushnell isn't known as a super tough high end scope. I have another of those on a 300 RUM and there have been no issues with that scope either. By the way, that is not a bad choice in the $800 dollar range. The 4.5X to 30X is pretty cool on a long range rig.

I also have a Leoupold VX-6 and a Viper PST among others. Those brands are both good choices though were I you I would look at the Vortex Viper HS as opposed to the PST as it is more compact without the exposed turrets. Having said all that, the clicks of Viper PST exposed turrets are very nice and there is "something" about the feel dialing up with that scope. It would not be the worst thing if you bought one of those but you will notice the turrets as you carry it around.

NF NXS compact 2.5-10x42 would be a good compromise unless you are someone who wants high power.. otherwise just get an NXS you wont regret it, they are worth the added weight. if you are worried about an extra lb go for a jog or drop something out of your pack.. optics is not the place to compromise quality for a little weight

NF SHV 5-20 would be a pretty good choice without breaking the bank with NF quality. And a little lighter than the NXS.

ryeguy

If you want a compact and relatively light weight scope for a hunting rifle that you will be packing all over the place, I suggest you rethink your interest in exposed turrets. Just saying that puts you in a less compact and potentially heavier scope and I don't see any practical benefit for long range work. It takes about 3 seconds to unscrew a turret cover on a low profile turret. At long range 3 seconds should not be an issue. You also don't have to worry about moving the turret off zero as you carry the rifle around (it does happen).

I have several scopes with exposed turrets and several with covers. My lighter compact rifles are all wearing the scopes with the covered turrets in keeping with the compact theme.

I don't really get the comments about beating up the scope with the 338 Edge. I assume you have a muzzle break and that will take the recoil down to 06 levels. I have 600 rounds through my 338 RUM and the Bushnell Elite it is wearing just keeps on ticking and Bushnell isn't known as a super tough high end scope. I have another of those on a 300 RUM and there have been no issues with that scope either. By the way, that is not a bad choice in the $800 dollar range. The 4.5X to 30X is pretty cool on a long range rig.

I also have a Leoupold VX-6 and a Viper PST among others. Those brands are both good choices though were I you I would look at the Vortex Viper HS as opposed to the PST as it is more compact without the exposed turrets. Having said all that, the clicks of Viper PST exposed turrets are very nice and there is "something" about the feel dialing up with that scope. It would not be the worst thing if you bought one of those but you will notice the turrets as you carry it around.
Emphasis mine.

Note we're talking about a very light weight rifle in a very heavy recoiling magnum.

Muzzle brake or no, you still have a tremendous amount of vibration and shock as well with significant shearing forces.

A cheap scope isn't likely to hold up well under those conditions.

The term 'lightweight' is relative. Any idea how much your rig will weigh when it's done? My heavy guns wear a NF NXS, but I have found that the NXS is too much weight for my lighter rifles (say 10 lbs and under). It's not the weight, but rather the balance of the gun that is affected. My lighter rigs felt 'top heavy' and wanted to roll rather than stay upright. Just did not feel balanced. If under ten pounds, I would look to the NF compact. the Leupold, Vortex or Sightron as a better compromise.

March 2.5-25x52 if you really want to spend some coin. It's very light, will hold up to the punishment and the glass is better than anything mentioned in this thread. You will most likely have to wait 3 months for it, though.

There is a real good review at Precision Rifle Blog on about 18 scopes I suggest you read.I have 2 similar build and want to upgrade scope on one.Light and heavy duty are hard to find.I saw 2 of the March sell in last 2 months in 52 missed out.The 42 are sale used on Hide.On the light side 23 oz Mark 4 one on mine for 4-5 years.6.5-20 would like more on low end.Mark 6 3-18x44 pinch lock turrets.March 3-24x52 24 oz.Then when you jump to 31-32 oz you get into NXS,Kahles 6-24x56 which I am considering,Ziess 6-24x56.Some these are double your wish price but you can find good used for savings.The ATACR is 38.7 oz Mark 8 3-25x56 35oz,USO 5-25X58 40 oz. NF 3-15x50 F1 30 oz.

I have a buddy that will sell me his NF nsx 5.5*22* 56 illuminated for 800 bucks. Im going to go that route. Gun should be around ten LBS with optics. Thanks all for the input, sounds like i can't go wrong with the NF.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.