Finally, I have a load for my 220 Swift

wildcat

I made a post about two weeks ago asking for 220 Swift load information, and I just wanted to say thanks to those of you who made suggestions. The load I finally settled on is as follows, Norma Brass, 43grn's H414, 40grn Nosler Ballistic Tip and Fed 210M primer. I shot two groups at 100 yards. The first three shot group measued .165 and the second three shot group measured .149. This will be my dedicated varmint load in this rifle. My velocity, with this load, is 4100fps. It is a very flat shooting load. I was able to test this load on some squirrels today. I had hits at 300, 360, 410, 475 and 560 yards. I am very happy with this load. It is very accurate and explosive on varmints. Wildcat!!

Just make sure that if you take it yote hunting, to make a good solid hits, or you'll be tracking them. Those 40g's are great for squirrels and such, but for yotes the 50 or 55g bullets are superior. The swift can shoot the 40g much faster then 4100fps, but if thats where your accuracy is, and the groups your getting are spectacular, then stick with it. I just traded my swift for a rem 700 in .270 win. I liked the 55g btip, its better then the little 40g's past 300 yards. Hits harder, shoots just as flat, retains more velocity, and doesn't drift as much. Just something to think about.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts