220 swift load suggestions

I have also had good luck with the 40gr nosler ballistic silvertips. For a light bullet their BC is not that far off of the 55gr bullets. Work up from 46gr of H414. Sorry I am not 100% sure of what my load was for that but I think it was 49gr at almost 4500fps. I would not give up on the 55gr pills, H4350 is not the best powder option.

wildcat,
These custom rifle have min spec chambers and are usually very tight even in factory round. That is probably the reason for factory fodder to shoot well for you. I get very tight groups with virgin brass in my rifle. I've never tried factory rounds. I personnaly don't like the 40's as there isn't much in the case to hold on to, beside they didn't group as well for me in either of my 22 calibers. I found some old 52's match Nosler and they shoot well as do the 60 V-max, and 69's. Remember though I'm shoooting a 1-12 barrel. Try a slower powder with the 55's. A cronograph help immensly. Primers do make a difference.
I wanted to drive a 55 baltip at 3900+ and started toward that goal reading manufactures powder usage/velocity. Then I read in the Speer book that N160 was THEE powder for the
Swift. Viva low SD, accuracy and velocity attained.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I've always read/heard that IMR-4064 was THEE powder for the swift. I have used it exclusively for 50-55g bullets with great accuracy and velocity. I dont use it for the 40g bullets only because there is better, but I dont like H-380 or ball powders. They are to inconsitent.

Remingtonman,

You are correct that 'they' say 4064 is THEE powder as I had also tried it but was unsatified in my custom rifle. As I said "I read in the Speer book that N160 was THEE powder for the Swift" and it was and is for my rifle with the Nosler 55 BalTip.

IMR4064 may work the best in the 'factory' chambered rifles which it did in my pre-64 Swift with a 50 grain bullet.

The slower powders work for me. IMR-4831 worked well for me also but I couldn't brake 3900 without over pressure. Great accuracy though at 3825, but N-160 gives what I want velocity, consistancy, accuracy. This is a bit finicky cartridge. If I wasn't concerned about velocity I would have built a 22-250, which I have one of. The Swift is that much better for ME.

Find a load that works and play with primers last.

[ QUOTE ]
Remingtonman,

You are correct that 'they' say 4064 is THEE powder as I had also tried it but was unsatified in my custom rifle. As I said "I read in the Speer book that N160 was THEE powder for the Swift" and it was and is for my rifle with the Nosler 55 BalTip.

IMR4064 may work the best in the 'factory' chambered rifles which it did in my pre-64 Swift with a 50 grain bullet.

The slower powders work for me. IMR-4831 worked well for me also but I couldn't brake 3900 without over pressure. Great accuracy though at 3825, but N-160 gives what I want velocity, consistancy, accuracy. This is a bit finicky cartridge. If I wasn't concerned about velocity I would have built a 22-250, which I have one of. The Swift is that much better for ME.

Find a load that works and play with primers last.

[/ QUOTE ]

All my friends with swifts shoot 4064 and 50 grainers either v max's or btips with good success. I on the other hand have a VSSF that does not like 4064 in the least and I tried quite a few combo's before giving up. I have had my best success with H-414 with bullets weighing 40-55 grains. With 50 grain Btips and 414 42 grains was the most consistant with velocity average lowest ES and SD. Accuracy was not the greatest but liveable. Working up and settling on the Hodgdon listed max of 44 grains of 414 with the 50 b tip has proved startling. Accuracy is excellent high.3's for 5 shots when I am shooting well, speed is in the 4050 fps range average. Here is the kicker The chronograph has shown me that this load can have an ES of 80 or so. I weigh each powder charge and do my very best to ensure consistancy with my brass prep and so forth. I have been thinking about trying H4350 and H4831 with 55 grain bullets more from a courious standpoint than anything else.

Hypersonic, I just tried H4350 using a 55grn V-MAX. My rifle did not like it. However, I did not try a 55grn Ballistic Tip. I am getting good feed back about VV N-160 and H414. I have been trying to locate VV-N160, however, everybody seems to be out of it. Good Luck with H4350, your rifle may love it. That is why I love reloading so much, you never know what your going to get until you test it.

[ QUOTE ]
Hypersonic, I just tried H4350 using a 55grn V-MAX. My rifle did not like it. However, I did not try a 55grn Ballistic Tip. I am getting good feed back about VV N-160 and H414. I have been trying to locate VV-N160, however, everybody seems to be out of it. Good Luck with H4350, your rifle may love it. That is why I love reloading so much, you never know what your going to get until you test it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here it is good fun and enoyable for me. I was wondering about VV-N560 as opposed to VV-N160. I did a bit of read on their site and If I read the info correctly 560 would give slightly better speeds with a little less pressure. They don't list any load data for the swift though which is too bad. I have not found too much difference between the Vmax and the BTips in this rifle as of yet.

Just wondering how you load work was coming? I stumbled on a pretty good one for my 700 using H4831 and the 55 grain b tip. Now it is not the fastest load ( under max data I could find )but it is within 20 fps of published speed of a max charge. Es and Sd were pretty good but accuracy was the big suprise two 5 shot groups both measuring .479 shot in 30 mph cross wind. I have been working hard to learn how to shoot better in the wind so perhaps in another few years I will become a better shooter. I do have a few grains I can go up with the H-4831 and with the burning speed of this powder compressed loads should be ok if the compression is moderate. Boy I still have to work up some loads for a factory class match for April, not to mention the ground hogs are digging up through the snow and running around. Man am I going to be burning a wack of powder in the next couple of months.

Oh I almost forgot 414 is a great powder for the swift but do not overlook W760 is is so close most guys say it is exactly the same as 414 but I have found it to be about 1/2 grain faster in this swift and almost as accurate as 414. Ya never know justmight be the magic you are looking for.

Hyper,
Do you mind sharing your load and the results you got with 4831. I have found this powder to be great for bigger cartridges but thought it would be too slow for the Swift. I thought 560 might be a little slow as well but I have some and may try to work up a load with that - I'll let you know. I have had great luck with 540 and 55gr NBTs as I believe I mentioned earlier in this thread.

[ QUOTE ]
Hyper,
Do you mind sharing your load and the results you got with 4831. I have found this powder to be great for bigger cartridges but thought it would be too slow for the Swift. I thought 560 might be a little slow as well but I have some and may try to work up a load with that - I'll let you know. I have had great luck with 540 and 55gr NBTs as I believe I mentioned earlier in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

No Worries Dog ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif )

Rifle Rem VSSF 1-14" twist.
Here is the full meal deal on what I did load wise and ES SD and so on.

Win Brass once fired neck sized
Brass trimmed to 2.185"
Primer pockets uniformed
Flash holes done

44 grains of H-4831 ( listed max 46 grains)
I tried 4 different lots of brass and 46 grains was to the top and I did a 12" drop ( need to try SC for better compaction).

55 Grain Nosler B Tip seated 25 tho off the lands ( 2.868" oal for this rifle)

Win Lr Primers. (I like them and they are hot enough for 4831 in the swift and 4831 in my favourite 30-06 with 200's.)

Ave Vel (10 rounds) 3599 fps ( manual shows 3619 with 46 grains)

ES 52
SD 17.9

I have shot some groups in the .3's with numbers higher than that. This rifle is not super fussy with ES and SD as far as accuracy goes, it does love B Tip's and 414 or 760 as a close second, and now I have discovered H-4831 I have as of yet to try H-4350 but I suspect I will find a good combo with a bit of work. I also got some H-380 to see what I can come up with. I am working on 2 loads for light varmint factory class match currently. 414 with 52 Gn Amax's and 53 Gn HPFB Hornadys. I have been working with both bullets and I beleive I will have the sweet spot this time. All indications from this past Sunday lead me to think I will be able to have a load that will shoot .25 Moa on a consistant basis. I am hoping and praying in the .1's but it is a factory rifle and they will at times break your heart.

I have so much fun with this rifle I am like a kid in a candy store and my other rifles I think are getting jealous LOL. Now if I could just get my allowence bumped up life would be perfect.

I will let you know which one of the Hornadys wins the accuracy competition and will post the load data if you like.

Have a good one

Hypersonic, I finally decided on 43gns of H414 and the 40grn Nosler Ballistic Tip. I am getting perfect loads, I am averaging around .150 to .190 3 shot groups at 100 yards. I have not given up on the 55grn Nosler Ballistic Tips. However, we do not have much wind in California, so I really don't need the extra weight in the bullet. I just finished prepping 400 new cases, cleaned flash holes, uniformed primer pockets, polished, full length sized, ect. I have already loaded 150 rounds with the 40 grn Ballistic Tips, and I should have 400 more loaded by this weekend. I will be ready to go killin squirrels the following weekend. My 220 Swift Load consists of the following;
1. Brass-Norma
2. Powder-H414-43grns
3. Primer-Federal 210 Match
4. Bullets-Nosler 40grn Ballistic Tip
5. O.A.L. is 2.654
6. Run out is less than .003 on my loaded rounds

This load is shooting very well out of my rifle. I have not tested for velocities yet, but I think this load is around 4100 FPS. It is very accurate. I tried hotter loads, but I was getting to much presure for my taste. One of the hot loads I tested was with 45 grn's of H414. I shot a .195 and .220 three shot group at 100 yards, however, these loads were creating too much preasure in my rifle. Once again, thanks for the advice, and I will try some W760 in the future. My friend has about 24 pounds of W760, so I am sure he will give me a pound or two to try.

Good shooting, Wildcat

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts