Finally got my terrapin x

I thought I read that the X isn't spec'd to read as far as the original?

The newer Terrapin X is spec'ed by the manufacturer better then the original Terrapin in terms of ranging distances. According to the published specs of the original Terrapin vs the New Terrapin X, the new models maximum range is 3000meters. The original Terrapin was spec'ed at 2400meters. Also, the test spec, using the same defined conditions for a +90% reading; the new model(X) is spec'ed at 2000meters, the original is 1800meters.
My original Terrapin has routinely performed beyond the spec'ed range, successfully ranging past 3000 yards. I know of others that have also found the original Terrapin capable of ranging beyond its published specs.

The newer Terrapin X is spec'ed by the manufacturer better then the original Terrapin in terms of ranging distances. According to the published specs of the original Terrapin vs the New Terrapin X, the new models maximum range is 3000meters. The original Terrapin was spec'ed at 2400meters. Also, the test spec, using the same defined conditions for a +90% reading; the new model(X) is spec'ed at 2000meters, the original is 1800meters.
My original Terrapin has routinely performed beyond the spec'ed range, successfully ranging past 3000 yards. I know of others that have also found the original Terrapin capable of ranging beyond its published specs.

yes sir my original terripan would run 3800 plus off a tripod pretty easily

have yet to mess with my X as its so freaking smokie here there its hard to get anything to range far

yes sir my original terripan would run 3800 plus off a tripod pretty easily

have yet to mess with my X as its so freaking smokie here there its hard to get anything to range far
I know what you mean!! I was up in the Wyoming range scouting for deer recently, and at 9000 ft + it was still very challenging to get a good look at a few bucks that were 1-2 miles away.

My original Terripans will range to 3000 plus as others have mentioned therefore the new X model has never interest me.

Pawater, you got a update on the Leica 3000's? I'm patiently waiting on my pair to come in.

My original Terripans will range to 3000 plus as others have mentioned therefore the new X model has never interest me.

Pawater, you got a update on the Leica 3000's? I'm patiently waiting on my pair to come in.

I took them out last night and the Leicas ranged trees, leaves, grass and rocks out to 3k easily. It was bright and hazy out (85 degrees, high humidity). The Terrapin x struggled past 1800 on everything. I only got one return at 2900 while I was holding them on scan mode. So far the Leicas are ranging awesome.

I've had an original Terrapin for around 5 years and a buddy has had one for about 2 years. Under ideal conditions (dusk, light cloud cover, no rain/fog) I expect mine to read out past 4000 yards. I can get consistent and repeatable ranges to a max of 4447 yards give or take about 3 yards from a stable rest under ideal conditions on a specific log in an area I hunt. My buddy's Terrapin hasn't given a range past 3800 yards under the same conditions on the same targets.

Same friend recently got a Terrapin X and so far it's coming up a little short of his original Terrapin and almost 25% behind mine under ideal conditions at the extreme end of it's capabilities. It does offer additional features over the original Terrapin so that can make up for some of the reduced range capabilities. I don't think most people will actually be held back by a RF that gets readings to "only 3000 yards". I just consider myself lucky to have one that will hit beyond 4000 yards under ideal conditions even though I've yet to have a practical need to range anything beyond 3400 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.