finally got my new 308

big mike 2121

Been a long years time shopping and farting around, finally got a new howa varminter in .308. Came with the hogue overmoulded stock and a nikko sterling 4-16 x 44 scope with illuminated reticle. Have heard different things about the stock and scope, but if nothing else I have a good barreled action to start a project off of. Already have a new Zeiss victory HT 3-12 X 56 scope and EGW rings ordered.

Well, went out to range today. the deerections said to start out on a shoot one, clean for ten shots regimen, then go to shoot two and clean for ten more shots. Followed it (more or less)
smile.png
using 180 grain winchester soft points. then got a good zero for the scope. couldnt get that round to group very well 2 inches at 100 yards. Switched over to 165 sst hornady superformance, liked those ALOT better and got decent group at less than 1". Then onto the FGMM 175's, same story with groups right at 1" Im gonna try some FGMM 168's and some 150 grain as well. thought a 1:10 barrel preferred heavy bullets but it really didnt seem to like the 180s too well. Its minute of deer for sure, just need to shoot, shoot, shoot and get more and more used to it. It has more in it than I do!

I have the Howa M1500 Varminter and love itto death. I have had mine for about 2 years and have a Valdada to top it off. I found the Knox Axiom stocks are ten times better than the houge plus they take away LOTS of recoil. Great gun.

yea i know the hogue stock can be iffy.....probably a B&C medalist tactical in the near future. Definately cant wait for my new zeiss scope to come in!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.