Few questions about first build.

skookum

I have been doing a lot of reading on here as far as quality for price, and all the bells and whistles to make your gun shoot that much better. Sub Moa is fine, 1/2 MOA is even better. I plan on using this rifle as a hunting and the occasional kill the milk jug accrossed the canyon gun. I have some experience shooting out to 500yds with a standard duplex 3-9 leupold. I use a 30-06 Savage 110(before the accu-trigger) and a 257 weatherby MK IV. Being from SW Wa there's not really a need for and 1000 yard rifle but i want one.

I have quite a bit of experience with '06 but would like a little more horsepower, I would like to build up the .257 someday but its about $3-$5 everytime i pull the trigger, i dont have a lot of experience with it since i bought it not long before i joined the army. It will be a shooter once i put some glass on it, but i'm not comfortable hunting elk with it.

I see the 3 main over the counter rifles seem to be Remington, Tikka, and Savage. Is it Ford vs. Chevy or is one truly better than the other? I am thinking 300 WM or something close to it- WSM, SAUM or Maybe 7mm.

I am still not sure about Glass either. I wold like to keep it under $1000, I see alot of mixed reviews on anything other than NF. Has anyone built a Leupold in the custom shop? I found out i can do this pretty reasonably and i have always had great success with their off the shelf optics.

the rest of the line-up includes a HS Precision Stock, Timney trigger and a Pac Nor Barrel.

I am not worried about reloading, rangefinders, or spotting scopes I have access to my grandfather's and dad's equipment. This is kinda lengthy but i appreciate the input.

I've got personal experience with the Leupold custom shop. I absolutely recomend it 100% for a scope especially on a budgett, or customizing a little at a time/as you go, or as your needs change. VX-lll models & up have the most options in the custom shop. I've had great experiences with the custom shop on multiple occasions. Plus, thier warranty is unbeatable.
For a super budget job- Buy a used VX-lll send it in to custom shop for mods (reticle & turrets, or whatever) & warranty is still forever even if your not the origional purchaser.

Good luck with the rest of your build!

I appreciate the input. I think thats the route i am going to go on opitcs. A VX III with M1 turrets and mil dot reticle. Does anyone know if thier TMR reticle is accurate mils or just hashes on a line?

For the same price you can get a vortex viper pst 6-24x50mm. Awesome scope!!

As for the rest of the gun, how far woul you be shooting at elk. I'm building a rifle too for long range shooting/hunting where shots will be 800 yards and less. I am building the 300. Win mag. The 7mm mag can do it but the 300 will just do it that much better. If I ever thought about making a further shot on game (moose or elk) I would be building a 300. rum or larger. With the 300. Win mag it can claim animals at further then 800 just isnt suggested unless its whitetail sized game

Don't forget Howa rifles and SWFA SS scopes. Both are not only at the top for best bang for the buck but will provided performance about as good as you can get without going fully custom for the rifle or the real high end stuff like Premier, S&B, etc.

My experience anyway.

Have fun!

Scot E.

I live in Western Wa so elk maybe 400-500 yds tops. Will shoot further possibly once i gain more confidence at further ranges. I want something with the min power around 3 and as high as i can get it, the Nikon Monarch line offers a 3-16x which would be nice but thats getting into the $1200 range. i will have to check out the viper and SWFA scopes and see what the min powers they offer.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.