Federal GM215M primers.

dulltip

Some thoughts when trying to get into reloading the 7mm Rem Mag.

So which do I stand a better chance of experiencing in my lifetime?
1- Seeing Federal Gold Medal Match Large Rifle Magnum primers for sale.
2- Seeing Bigfoot in person.
3- Winning the lottery.
4- World peace.

Are the Federal Gold Match Large Rifle Magnum primers a thing of the past and one should give up hope ever owning? If not - what's the average time one has to wait before seeing them up for sale?

In Nosler brass what would be a runner up to the GM215M?

-dulltip

I'ld pick #1 :)

Vigilance is all I can advise. Cabela's had the F210Ms online a couple weeks ago and they lasted several days before they were gone. So it's taking longer for things to sell out now. I see the standard F215s a lot locally and folks say there are the same. I may find out soon for myself..

Good Luck

I'ld pick #1 :)

Vigilance is all I can advise. Cabela's had the F210Ms online a couple weeks ago and they lasted several days before they were gone. So it's taking longer for things to sell out now. I see the standard F215s a lot locally and folks say there are the same. I may find out soon for myself..

Good Luck
dulltip,
Now would be a great time to test the Winchester, Remington and CCI large rifle magnum primers! On average these are hotter primers than the FED215M and may perform better in cold weather for you. When Federal 210 M primers were scarce a few years ago I went to the standard Winchester Large rifle primers with no loss in accuracy. Have used them ever since. Primer testing is usually the LAST thing you do in load testing. Say Hi to bigfoot for us! lol !

dulltip,
...and may perform better in cold weather for you.

Um.... The coldest temps I rifle hunt coues deer in seem to fall above 60 degs. We worry more about ammo self detonation in Az due to excessive heat. Shooting a cold barrel is all relative in Az. Some times an unfired barrel will be very hot to the touch if left in the sun on a hot early season white tail hunt.

And yes we're going to trail the Winchesters first on load development, mostly because it's all I've been able to find locally.

-DT

Have a box of 1000 coming in two weeks from a local vendor. Called me last week and said many of the more sought after components are being made available recently. Re barefoot56 post, I have used the Remington primers for several friends' loads when they couldn't find the 215M with excellent results.

Um.... The coldest temps I rifle hunt coues deer in seem to fall above 60 degs. We worry more about ammo self detonation in Az due to excessive heat. Shooting a cold barrel is all relative in Az. Some times an unfired barrel will be very hot to the touch if left in the sun on a hot early season white tail hunt.

And yes we're going to trail the Winchesters first on load development, mostly because it's all I've been able to find locally.

-DT
dulltip,
Yes that can be an issue definitely! So backing down the load a bit can help with that possibly. Like Dosh stated . The Industry is catching up so things should be back to "normal" hopefully very soon. There are many more shooters / reloaders now. So until some manufacturers commit to manufacturing expansion there still may be spot shortages.

The unfortunate thing is we're coming up on another presidential election. Just when things are getting caught up, the panic buying may very well be starting up again before we know it. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the optimistic posts guys. I concur the next election process isn't going to do us folks getting into the game any good. I take comfort in the factory loaded ammo being in good quantities which means we can still hunt, maybe not with the desired accuracy, but can still make it to the field.

-DT

Now would be a great time to test the Winchester, Remington and CCI large rifle magnum primers! On average these are hotter primers than the FED215M and may perform better in cold weather for you. When Federal 210 M primers were scarce a few years ago I went to the standard Winchester Large rifle primers with no loss in accuracy. Have used them ever since. Primer testing is usually the LAST thing you do in load testing.

+1! I currently have plenty of stock in order of personal preference CCI250, FED215M, WLRM, and 9 1/2M. Earlier this year, I purchased 3K of FED215M to swap with a friend that has 3K of CCI250s. I always try to get what's on the shelves for trading purposes. :D

:D
+1! I currently have plenty of stock in order of personal preference CCI250, FED215M, WLRM, and 9 1/2M. Earlier this year, I purchased 3K of FED215M to swap with a friend that has 3K of CCI250s. I always try to get what's on the shelves for trading purposes. :D

Don't be a part of the problem, be a part of the solution. Can we all come load at your house?

Just poking on you, no harm meant. Just because you have foresight and we don't, guess we can't complain too much :D

:D

Don't be a part of the problem, be a part of the solution. Can we all come load at your house?

Just poking on you, no harm meant. Just because you have foresight and we don't, guess we can't complain too much :D

L:)L! It's all good ... I was just agreeing with Phil's comment to try other brands and make whatever available for you work, that's the beauty of reloading ... as long as you play it safe.

I have a couple of hunting buddies but don't reload, they have a list of primers, powders, bullets, and of course .22 LR ammo written on business card as short shopping list when they are out and about. :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.