Faxon Gunner Profile with Suppressor?

Hoss50

Had anyone used Faxon's gunner profile barrel with a suppressor? I am think about getting 1 in 350 legend for 1 kid, and 1 in 6mm ARC for my other son. But of they have crazy POI shift from a can I might get a heavier profile.

I am just trying to keep the rifles light for kids.

Thanks
Harley

I've had nothing but problems with 350 legend barrels from Faxon. I've had 6 total and none would feed reliably on 9 different uppers.

If you're building a 350 legend I would use anything else like cmmg.

Are you wanting straight wall for legal cartridge for a specific state, or because you like the cartridge?

Last edited:
We are in AZ so we don't have any requirements for it, but thought it might be a fun round and useful for deer and black bear in the areas we hunt that are short range. 200yrds and under, mostly under.

In my experience, the only reason to have 350 legend is in states where straight walled or slug cartridges are a requirement for big game. There's just better cartridges for game. 6.5 Grendel has been my favorite minimal recoil deer cartridge in an AR.

If I didn't hunt in Iowa once in a while I would never think about the 350 legend. The caliber wouldn't even exist if the straight wall requirement didn't.

In my experience, the only reason to have 350 legend is in states where straight walled or slug cartridges are a requirement for big game. There's just better cartridges for game. 6.5 Grendel has been my favorite minimal recoil deer cartridge in an AR.

If I didn't hunt in Iowa once in a while I would never think about the 350 legend. The caliber wouldn't even exist if the straight wall requirement didn't.
Part of me likes the medium bore fat bullet for some slap. Also, during covid the only ammo on the shelf here in AZ was 350 legend because nobody shoots it. 🤣

Subsonic ammo for the 350 legend should be pretty easy to make and with all the .357 handgun bullets available their should be good options for Subsonic opening performance.

Had anyone used Faxon's gunner profile barrel with a suppressor? I am think about getting 1 in 350 legend for 1 kid, and 1 in 6mm ARC for my other son. But of they have crazy POI shift from a can I might get a heavier profile.

I am just trying to keep the rifles light for kids.

Thanks
Harley

I have two Faxon grooved tubes (can't call them barrels) in 8.6BLK. They both suck. A borescope gets scared when you push it into the scarred depths of those things. The barrels both spray bullets all over the place. As the velocity of the round increases the "groups" rotate, much like when doing a tuner test. The barrels are clearly moving.

Shooting both with a Dead Air Primal btw.

Last edited:
I suppress two 5.56 SBRs with 11.5" Gunner profile barrels. I haven't noticed any significant POI shift, but I also don't mag dump these rifles or shoot them for groups.

I suppress two 5.56 SBRs with 11.5" Gunner profile barrels. I haven't noticed any significant POI shift, but I also don't mag dump these rifles or shoot them for groups.
Measure the OD of the skinniest part of the barrel diameter. My 8.6 Gunner measures 0.704" ish. I say ish because I didn't feel like taking the hand guard off and I'm not sure if the caliper reached below the taper. Subtract the .224 diameter of the bullet from that. Divide that number by 2 and you get the wall thickness of the barrel. (0.704" - 0.224") / 2 = wall thickness = 0.240" ish. Not bad. Do the same calc with .338 and wall thickness is 0.182". That's going to equate to less rigidity.

I couldn't find any useful data on the profile of the barrel but it looks to me like the profiles are similar or the same, just different bore. I put a borescope in my 8.6 barrel and it's very rough. Like gouges in the lands rough. I bought it in the early days of 8.6BLK excitement so maybe that's the issue. All I have to go off of is the very large 100 yard groups.
8.6BLK is an odd round. We'll see what the new barrel does when it finally gets here.

Measure the OD of the skinniest part of the barrel diameter. My 8.6 Gunner measures 0.704" ish. I say ish because I didn't feel like taking the hand guard off and I'm not sure if the caliper reached below the taper. Subtract the .224 diameter of the bullet from that. Divide that number by 2 and you get the wall thickness of the barrel. (0.704" - 0.224") / 2 = wall thickness = 0.240" ish. Not bad. Do the same calc with .338 and wall thickness is 0.182". That's going to equate to less rigidity.

I couldn't find any useful data on the profile of the barrel but it looks to me like the profiles are similar or the same, just different bore. I put a borescope in my 8.6 barrel and it's very rough. Like gouges in the lands rough. I bought it in the early days of 8.6BLK excitement so maybe that's the issue. All I have to go off of is the very large 100 yard groups.
8.6BLK is an odd round. We'll see
Good point I hadn't considered.

As for Faxon quality, I've had three show up with short throats. But once those issue were resolved with Faxon, they've been great. I currently have five Faxon made barrels on some of my AR pattern rifles and I've not experienced any issues with the rifling like yours. I have had issues with a lot of other barrel makers (rack grade and custom) in the past as well. Maybe I've just been lucky, but all have been good about making right. I'd contact Faxon.

Good point I hadn't considered.

As for Faxon quality, I've had three show up with short throats. But once those issue were resolved with Faxon, they've been great. I currently have five Faxon made barrels on some of my AR pattern rifles and I've not experienced any issues with the rifling like yours. I have had issues with a lot of other barrel makers (rack grade and custom) in the past as well. Maybe I've just been lucky, but all have been good about making right. I'd contact Faxon.
I have one of the very early 8.6BLK barrels. I think they mass produced at the sacrifice of quality. Sometimes being an early adopter is a bad idea. There are many other people out there that say the same thing about Faxon 8.6BLK barrels. I have two... both look like crap on the inside.

But, the real problem is how thin they are. I'm sure that the barrel whips when I fire it. Heavy subsonic bullets and a thin barrel are a bad combo. 6"+ groups at 100 is unacceptable. I shoot 1/4" groups at 200 with my .20PPC so it's not a shooter issue. I've got a heavy barrel ordered. It won't required the gee whiz Q taper to mount the can either so the rifle will be a few inches shorter.