False Positive Pressure Signs

How about a little brass on the bolt face? Would that mean there's a good chance I have a burr or is this normal? I honestly don't think I've ever paid attention to this in any of my rifles

Attachments

• 05D22566-3ABE-4809-A566-E01ED07A159E.jpeg
    05D22566-3ABE-4809-A566-E01ED07A159E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 110
Brass on the bolt face is expected, accepted, and fine... as long as its mostly uniform on the bearing surface of the head.

You'll notice more in your picture, right around the ejector pin hole though... that's a clue. ;) Sharpness there is grabbing more than it's fair share of brass.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Bolt faces that are not square or flat can cause heavy bolt lift too. It only takes a few ten thousandths. Customs are not immune to any of the same issues as factory actions. Orkan is correct, cnc doesnt mean perfect. Far from it. Lots of different issues with custom actions.

This is an excellent thread! Thank you Orkan!
I just experience this with a new CA rifle. Polished the the ejector and deburred the ejector hole and polished the bolt face to remove the Cerokote. Now the rifle functions as it should. Also some times the ejector is proud of the bolt face it should be flush and polished.
Also the with fixed ejectors the slot in the bolt face can have burrs on it causing the same swipe on the brass.

Ok Orkan, I've got another one for you. New rifle with a different type of ejector. I'm pretty sure i know the answer but we'll see. Action is American rifle company arcimedies. Primer looks good. Easy bolt lift with a pretty shiny ejector mark by the C in creedmoor

Attachments

• 1BFEEF01-CE18-4701-A60E-40F324A93F16.jpeg
    1BFEEF01-CE18-4701-A60E-40F324A93F16.jpeg
    952.7 KB · Views: 90
Ok Orkan, I've got another one for you. New rifle with a different type of ejector. I'm pretty sure i know the answer but we'll see. Action is American rifle company arcimedies. Primer looks good. Easy bolt lift with a pretty shiny ejector mark by the C in creedmoor
Looks like real pressure to me. Remember, pressure isn't where the internet says it should be... it's where the brass says it is. Peterson tends to be a little on the softer side, and that case head is showing pressure as well as the primer. See how the primer firing pin indent has a little crater on it... and the edges are kind of sharp? It's not massive over pressure, but its definitely showing. Bolts with fixed ejectors have unsupported areas on the bolt face, which tends to lead softer cases to show pressure a little earlier. It's possible that after 3-5 firings at lower pressures, the case head will be hardened up enough to where it won't show as bad.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Looks like real pressure to me. Remember, pressure isn't where the internet says it should be... it's where the brass says it is. Peterson tends to be a little on the softer side, and that case head is showing pressure as well as the primer. See how the primer firing pin indent has a little crater on it... and the edges are kind of sharp? It's not massive over pressure, but its definitely showing. Bolts with fixed ejectors have unsupported areas on the bolt face, which tends to lead softer cases to show pressure a little earlier. It's possible that after 3-5 firings at lower pressures, the case head will be hardened up enough to where it won't show as bad.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Ok I'm following you! That makes a lot of sense. I appreciate your help

What are your thoughts on this? Thanks.

Attachments

• 20220304_144954 (1).jpg
    20220304_144954 (1).jpg
    830.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 20220807_103019 (2).jpg
    20220807_103019 (2).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 64
  • 20220902203828 (1).jpg
    20220902203828 (1).jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 20220902204659 (1).jpg
    20220902204659 (1).jpg
    25 KB · Views: 68
Factory ammo, Hornady, shot from CA Ridgeline.
Heavy bolt lift, to the point I needed to bring a rubber mallet to the range to tap bolt open. As the rifle heated up, it would get worse. Groups went from 3 shots touching to 12" by the 6th shot.