338 Edge pressure signs at 92.5 H-1000

bridgebuilder

I just finished my 338 Edge build on a 700 LA , 28" #6 Fluted Kreiger 1-9.35 with a DE 4 port brake , Mcmillan Htg stock and went out this morning and shot 5 shots of H-1000 at 90 gr and got sighted in cleaning between shots .Then I started a ladder test for pressure every .5 grains and i got a very strong ejector mark from the plunger at 92.5 Grs and decided to stop there . Has anybody else noticed pressure signs this low ? It looks like most people are shooting between 92 and 94 grs . I believe i have about .125 freebore witch looks like more than most are shootin too. I am using Nosler brass and cci 250 primers . My stupid Chrono wasn't workin right today either so i still dont have any idea where i'm at on speed either. Just curious where everybody else maxed out out.

Some of us have found that the new lots of H1000 are a bit hotter than before. I had to stop at 89 grains, where before I was shooting 93 grains.

Is there a loss of velocity or is 89 gr gettin you the same speed ? I would like to get close to 2800 fps but not sure if i can with 28 inch barrel. I also forgot to mention my over length is 3.90 with the 300 gr bergers.

I did lose velocity. Can't get to my old velocity before hitting too much pressure. I'm going to try Retumbo and see what happens.

Thanks thats the kinda info i am after , this is only the 2nd gun i've built on my own and i am still afraid i screwed something up , but it sounds like that is ball park range for high pressure. I am very pleased with the DE brake too i bet the felt recoil of this is about like a 270 .

If you have 0.125" to the lands then use it!

It sounds like you have about the same throat length as I have in my Edge. I have loaded up to 98gn of H1000 behind the 300SMK and CCI 250 primer, before pressure sings were too high.

I do however use Remington cases so take that into account!

I now shoot 93gn for good case life and accuracy.

Seat the bullets out further at about 0.020" off the lands and start again. This may reduce your pressure signs with that 92.5gn load. However those Nosler cases might be the problem.

Try and record your case head diameter with a micrometer with each powder charge. I find this the best indication for pressure.

As far as velocity goes, 2800 fps may be beyond your rifle with that barrel and moderate case pressure. 2750 to 2780 will still get the job done and give better case life.

I did lose velocity. Can't get to my old velocity before hitting too much pressure. I'm going to try Retumbo and see what happens.

Good advice !

92.5 grains is not a very good case density. And if you are already have pressure then I
would recomend going to slower powder for better case density (some where around 103
grains).

I like to be at almost 100% case capacity when I see signs of pressure.

J E CUSTOM

If i'm not mistaken I believe that 92.5 is almost if not a compressed load , I know that i read on here some where that 94 grs was a very compressed load . I cant set the bullet out any farther than 3.90" overall to fit in the Seekins clip and feed reliably. Thanks for all the input i am going to back up to 91.5 grs until i get the chrono goin again. better safe than sorry.

Last edited:
i had the same problems and had pressure signs above 92grns also. Mine was shooting faster than most for the same powder charge in a 30"bbl. I put this down to a fast barrel plus i shoot in a very hot climate.

I switched to retumbo and things were nicer all round, accuracy was better, better case life etc... nearly everyones EDGE shoots the 300SMK best @ high 2700"s to low 2800"s FPS. Find a load in that area with the lowest ES and stick with that, whether it be H1000 or retumbo, either is fine depending on what your rifle likes in the environment you shoot.

Thanks for all the info . Isn't amazing how much difference there is in the same chamber from gun to gun . It was only about 50 degrees here when i was shooting yesterday too. I agree with the speed i would like to get more but i will be happy with 2727 fps and a little longer barrel life .

If i'm not mistaken I believe that 92.5 is almost if not a compressed load , I know that i read on here some where that 94 grs was a very compressed load . I cant set the bullet out any farther than 3.90" overall to fit in the Seekins clip and feed reliably. Thanks for all the input i am going to back up to 91.5 grs until i get the chrono goin again. better safe than sorry.

You may be right depending on what bullet you use.

I had no luck with H1000 and switched to a slower powder, and as soon as I can get to my
load log I will pass the load I'm using on to you.

I use 250gr and 225 grain bullets for my 338 depending on use so if you are using the 300s
you would not have the case capacity that I have unless you are single loading.

Good luck.

J E CUSTOM

With older powder, i was using 97 grains with no real pressure signs. i did notice that it dropped me down probably 2-3 grains when i used the new powder, but same velocity.

currently, for useful brass life, i use 92 grains with 300 smk or 93 grains for the berger

MAX for case head expansion in my gun is 93 grains for 300 smk 94 grains for the berger with H1000. there are no visible pressure signs with these "max" loads though, but brass life due to primer pockets loosening is short..

89.5 at 2727 FPS in a 28" tube. With a BC of over .800, who cares if it is 2700 or 2800 FPS?
.800 BC??? You using the new Bergers? I recently had to input .7 into exbal to match my drops out to 1000 with the 300gr SMK.

Some of us have found that the new lots of H1000 are a bit hotter than before. I had to stop at 89 grains, where before I was shooting 93 grains.

Pretty much the same here: 2740FPS from a 30" Lilja, 90grs H1000- 300SMK-Federal 215M. With the CCI 250's I can bump it up to 91.5grs. It's running 100fps slower then my last batch of powder but the last three 100yard groups I shot averaged under 1/4moa with single digit ES. I got over 2800fps with Retumbo and US869, and a little over 2900 with R25. I couldn't get 1/2moa with these so I will stick with the H1000.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.