Shawn Carlock built 338 Edge at 1000 Yds

mcmurray

I've owned by .338 Edge built by Shawn for about 3 years now. I've shot it a lot at the range and dumped a few Mule Deer with it out to 620 yards. Our rifle range is 600 yards long so that has been the limit for my normal practice. I had the opportunity to shoot on the 1000 yard range for the first time last month and thought I should share the results.

The wind was swirling over the range but after studying it for a few minutes I thought the net result was no adjustment. I brought out the drop chart I had built the day before with estimated conditions and fired my first shot at a 1000 yards. My partner lowered the target and when he raised it I was a happy camper. The shot landed 6 oclock low in the 8 ring. I adjusted up one click and the next shot was at 1 oclock in the 8 ring. I then proceed to fire 5 more shots. The group was 10" with no shot outside thee 8 ring with 3 in the 10 and one in the 9 ring. Not bad for the first attempt at 1000 yards.

I've got 2 deer tags and an Antelope to fill this year over in Eastern Montana. I hope to streach that 620 Yard kill to around 800 or so.

Thanks Shawn for building a great gun. :D

Mark McMurray

Thanks for sharing your tripp to the 1000 yrd mark . This makes me want a .338 Edge bad:)

keep up the good shootinggun)

Bigbuck

Isn't it a pleasure to actually get results from what you paid for.

Maybe we could get Shawn and some of the other great "smiths" on this site to run our country. There would be ALOT less BS, that's for sure.... :)

Nice shootin.

I had a very interesting conversation the otherday...............
I looked at my calender and realized that I did not have a free weekend for the next two month's so I figured that I better take my Goldwing for one last ride before moth balls for the winter, I ended up in a podunk town north of Bear Lake in Idaho. I walked into this sporting good's store where the owner was saying his gun and his cartridge were next to DEITY and nothing compared, I humbly asked "can I see that case". after looking at it for a few second's I asked if it was a 338 EDGE......NNNNNNOOOOOOO it is not a 338 EDGE that somebitch Shawn Carlock stole my idea this round is a 338 HD.
I asked him what the HD stood for, he said it was the 338 HILLBILLY-DELUXE, my nasal passages were instantly cleared on his floor and I continued on my journey.
Love the road trip's
UB

Was the store on the corner next to the Maverick? I had nearly the same conversation as you did. I have an 338 Defensive Edge too. I recognised the cartridge when I saw the 338 SMK in a 300 Ultra case. The gun was sitting on the counter. A 700 action with a brake that looked suspiciously like my Defensive Edge brake......hmmmmm.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.