Fall bear tactics

OG-danimal

Any helpful tips for fall bear hunting? Rifle hunt starting august 1. Not sure the best tactics other than lots of glassing.

Any helpful tips for fall bear hunting? Rifle hunt starting august 1. Not sure the best tactics other than lots of glassing.
Kill an elk or deer and hunt the gut pile or find somebody else's.

Talk to the local F&G folks to find out what they are feeding on primarily in that area in the fall otherwise.

Oh, and garbage cans! :D

Just setting up randomly or in areas with fresh sign? Does terrain matter on calling set up?
All of it matters you mentioned. If you can find fresh sign there are bears for sure. Draws and areas that are not wide open. They can come in aggressive looking to kick some butt and take food. Or they can come in slow and steady trying to get a look. Do not put yourself in a position they can be on you before you know it's there. Electronic are easier as you can set them in a best location. Pay attention big time to the wind as they have insane sense of smell. They cut your track they are gone. Pays to circle in if you have to.

Definitely check the regs for your state because some states are strict on baiting, even if it is over something like a gut pile that you didn't leave behind.

For black bear I was told the rattier, darker, and nastier the draws and canyons the better. Haven't had the chance to really pursue any though.

A quick over view follows. It lacks details in which the devil indeed dwells. Break out the maps now. Start looking a the draws and drainages with the tightest contour lines. Find the prominent overlooks on the fingers surrounding each. Plot your path(s) in/out allowing for winds from various directions. Starting this summer wear out some boots hoofing into your selected overlooks testing your map study. Look for bear spoor. Tracks will give you relative size, dung will tell you what they're feeding on at the time (this will change as the seasons advance). Look for berry patches, fruit trees, etc... If there are crop fields bordering the dark timber bedding areas look for bear trails out into the crop, corn particularly. Good boots and good glass will make your life easier as will a GPS with a big screen. Good luck, enjoy the entire process. Remember that you can make audible and visual misques, but you can't fool a bears nose.

Try and set your schedule for berry harvests or, if you have abandoned farms in the area, old fruit trees. If you are hunting near spawning areas they like to pick up spawned out fish, but it can be tough on the nose skinning those ones out. High country bears make the best eating and have the nicest fur so late berry seasons are your best bet for them. Get as close as you can before shooting one. They can usually be stalked, especially when they are eating, and identifying size and gender is difficult on bears when shooting from a distance. Cubs can be small and hidden below bush level and you don't want to knock over a sow with first season cubs.

Look for wetlands too, especially if it's been a dry year. Great food source even without a lot of rain. Here's a bear feeding on willow branches towards the bottom of the picture.

Attachments

• A6D000BE-713C-4933-BCA9-23BDAA93F938.jpeg
    A6D000BE-713C-4933-BCA9-23BDAA93F938.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Definitely check the regs for your state because some states are strict on baiting, even if it is over something like a gut pile that you didn't leave behind.

For black bear I was told the rattier, darker, and nastier the draws and canyons the better. Haven't had the chance to really pursue any though.

Find an oat field....you'll find Bears!

Hot tip: Drench your hunting partner in honey and stand off about 100 meters......

Follow me for more great hunting and relationship tips.
We tried something like that by dripping bacon grease down a hunting back buddies back once. This is why men don't do relationship advice columns in the newspaper.

I always have salmon for lunch when hunting bears. My buddy sat down near the road and used his predator call for 20 minutes and called one in. It walked right up the road. We generally spot and stalk for bears. In dry years, they'll concentrate around water sources. We shot one that was feeding on cactus fruit 100 yards from water. I once spotted a huge bear sitting on the edge of a cliff surveying his kingdom. I was by myself and 5 miles from camp, and wondered what his mate would do while I was skinning him, so I let him live. If you can find acorns or pinon nuts, you'll find bears.