Fall Bear

Discussion in 'Bear Hunting' started by Dalebow, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Dalebow

Dalebow Well-Known Member

I have shot spring bears and they had long, beautiful hair, my big Choc bear was shot on Oct 18th, 2010, which was a pretty hot year and the hair was long and pretty. I drew a CO bear tag for Sept 3-7 and was just wondering what the hair is like then?
    Thanks

2. HARPERC

HARPERC Well-Known Member

Generally good, but getting better. Some of the bigger bear can seem a little thin. The August ones we've shot here, and in BC were OK. All the old hair is gone so they don't have patches here and there.

3. winmag

winmag Well-Known Member

I typically hunt Hells Canyon the 3rd weekend in August. Just about the time the wild plums are ripe. It's very very rare to see a bear with a thin coat even then. However, my September bear from 01' had the thickest coat I've ever seen. I'll bet you'll be fine. No where near as risky as spring bear, & I belive the meat is 10 times better in the fall. Huckle berries, wild plums, blackberries, & green grass all summer make for way better flavor than something that has been living off its fat reserves, & hadnt fooped in months. Just my opinion..... but I'm right:D hehehe

4. HARPERC

HARPERC Well-Known Member

I think you're absolutely right-especially a young kick out that likely never had nothing but momma's milk, grass, and berries.

5. Dalebow

sounds good, Iam looking forward to it.:D

6. Timber338

Timber338 Well-Known Member

I hunt in Colorado along the western slope of the Rockies up in the Grand Mesa National Forest... I have yet to see a bear with a scraggly looking coat. Everything from cubs up to the biggest boars all have very healthy thick fur in the Fall, and the bear population is very healthy. Although, I have never hunted there in the Spring, so I don't know how their coats start out after Winter.

Just this morning I picked up my OTC bear tag for the 2nd rifle season in late October... as always, it's gonna be hard to wait for hunting season! gun)

7. Dalebow

I got my first season rifle tag also for bear, it is an A tag and my private land rifle tag for Sept 3 is a B tag, so Iam hunting bear twice in CO:)
    Hope to repeat my 2010 OTC tag hunt, got my elk in the morning and my bear exactly 12 hours later:D

8. Dalebow

[​IMG]

9. Dalebow

[​IMG]

10. winmag

winmag Well-Known Member

Nice bear bud!

11. KurtB

KurtB Well-Known Member

Pumpkin head I guess. Any measurements or scores off that bear you would share?

12. Dalebow

7' sq, 503# certified scale, 19 11/16, lot of fat on him

13. KurtB

KurtB Well-Known Member

Just a huge bear. Congrats. Assuming he came in to your elk kill. I'll be hunting water holes with an elk tag and a bear tag. Hoping for either.

14. Dalebow

Nope, totally diff area, spot and stalk, he was feeding on scrub oaks