Factory rifle accuracy

pjracer

I am looking for a new factory rifle in .300 wsm or win mag. I shoot factory ammo. Post your brand and model of your rifle with the ammo you used and 100 yd accuracy you have obtained. Not looking for custom stuff or handloaded accuracy. I'm more of a short range shooter 500 yds and less. I'm a one rifle kind of guy. I have started looking at Browning xbolt, savage 114, tikka t3, Winchester supergrade, weatherby vanguard.Thanks.

Which Car is better? Ill be driving it to work?

Same kind of thing here. I can tell you that if you search on the site (or google) you will find what you are looking for.

To answer your question with my opinion.

Weatherby makes a Fine rifle. If you get a weatherby chambering you will go broke.
Savage makes a Good Rifle. You can do some work to it to make it better, but they shoot Ok. If you are using factory Ammo that is your limiting factor.

I only reload so am not going to be able to help you much but I think your main question is what are the top brands for out of the box accuracy?

I would definitely start with Howa (Weatherby Vanguard) and Savage. Remington next. There are some other good shooters but the prices start to go up from there a bit.

I can tell you the Howa 300 Win Mag in Stainless is a very nice gun IMO. Excellent accuracy and a 24 inch barrel for a great price.

http://www.legacysports.com/

For their options.

Scot E.
http://www.legacysports.com/

Personally, remington has done well for me in .204, 300RUM and browning has done well in 25/06. Factory ammo was in the 1.25-3/4MOA range for all three guns however, I handload everything I shoot and have gotten considerably better out of all three. A friend of mine has a tikka t-3 in 300 short mag and has done very well with it shooting remington factory loads (1-3/4MOA). The T/C Icon does well out of the box also. That all being said, it really depends on the gun you buy and your willingness to go through different factory loads until you find the one that works best. I found that the Browning with the BOSS setup in 25/06 tuned in pretty easy to several different factory loads before I started loading for it. Ford/Chevy/Dodge/Other...two of 'em I won't buy but that's just me..:rolleyes:

It comes down to each individual rifle regardless of make. You can get a good or just ok one from any factory builder. I've gotten very lucky with my factory Browning A-Bolt SS in 300wsm. I shoot Fusion 165gr. I don't ever shoot at 100 much so I can't remember my group size for sure but it's sub moa. Ive been shooting at 500yds quite a bit lately and it's near half moa including a 2 1/2" group at 530yds. A few years ago I shot a 7" group at 800yds. I concider that quite good for a factory gun. I put a brake on it and lightened the factory trigger to 2lbs. Other than that it's out of the box.

My hunting bud just picked up a Sako 300WM ,finnlight. 6 3/4 #,stock is comfortable,trigger adj.and under 3#.We spent last couple days at range and it shot 1 1/4 largest,once. Rest of groups where all under 1'' to 5/8 at 100,3 shot. Probably 30-40 shots and looking for a load. Bullets where 210 Berger and R22 AND RETUMBO.Looks like it is going to work for him. Last shot of day we cracked a rock at 735

As much as I am a true Savage fan....... I have 2 Browning Xbolts that will outshoot the Savages all day long.

I have an Xbolt Medallion in .300 Win and an Xbolt Hunter in 300wsm. The 300wsm is the most accurate rifle I have ever laid my hands on. I will shoot consistent groups of 1/2" or less @ 100 yards using Winchester Supreme Elite 180 grainers.

The Xbolt Medallion (.300 Win) isn't far behind and likes Hornady SST's (180 grain). These group more near the 3/4" range, but that is still pretty darn good in my book!

I really try to keep an open mind. Rifles today are extremely accurate and usually the shooter is the limiting factor. Pick a Savage, Tika, Browning etc. that you like, put decent optics on it, and spend a LOT of time at the range with it. I truly believe that the most accurate marksman are the guys that spend the most time shooting 1 rifle!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.