factory ammo for new coyote killer

tommyc279

I just put together a new predator gun that will replace my ultra heavy custom 22-250. I am on a budget and need help with finding factory loads for this gun. The rifle is a 200 stevens in .223 with a nikon buckmaster 6-18X for the optics. I worked hard to improve the factory stock and was able to knock a couple pounds off the trigger with a little help, oh and did my first camo paint job thanks for the help. I am ready for the range and was wondering what factory rounds have usually worked well in these rifles. I know every rifle is different but just looking for good advise with this 1-9 twist. i was thinking black hill but i am willing to try any brand. once again the help i get here has always been awesome. thank you to all the people that have helped this beginner shooter!!!!

tommy:
Your 1:9 twist barrel will handle the larger .223 bullets. So I'd look at the 62grains and heavier. Black Hills makes some nice stuff.

Black Hills if you can get it.

A lot of guns shoot the Winchester whitebox 40 pack of 45g really well. I'd give em a try as they are cheap.

My Stevens 223 shot the whitebox very well out to 300 yards. It also shot the Premium Winchester Nosler 40g good too. They are expensive tho.

Ultramax 55 gr. Soft Point cheap and accurate. Will do a lot of pelt damage if you catch bone going in. Does real well if you stay behind the shoulder, or if coyote is facing you and you hit him square in the chest. The bullet will not exit most of time. I bought a bunch of 55 gr. V-MAX from same company, but have not tried them yet.
I think you will get better accuracy from a heavier bullet with a 1:9 twist; I am shooting a 1:12.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.