Extreme spread problems

Let me throw out a something thing that I didn't see mentioned in previous posts.

Brass; I tried a little test with my 6.5 Grendel a few weeks ago. I have never liked Federal brass because my dad doesn't like it, but I now have my own reasons for not liking it.

I had found about 15 pieces of Federal brass at the range. So I treated them just like I would Hornady brass. Even started with 15 fresh pieces of each. I full length size, trim, chamfer the neck, clean the flash hole on all the cases.

I use a Hornady powder thrower to get close. Trickle in the last few 10th...seat my bullet to maximum mag length.

Remember, these were reloaded to the exact powder weights. The velocity of both brands of brass were the same, but I had great SD (single digit) and ES (super low double digit) with the Hornady brass. But the even with nearly the exact same average. The Federal brass had triple numbers in both the SD and ES.

Both shot fine, but it was an eye opener with the two different brands of brass.

Before you loaded those test loads up what was the condition of each group of brass? For example, was the Hornady brass tumbled in walnut media and the Federal brass cleaned in Steel Pin tumbler?

Let me throw out a something thing that I didn't see mentioned in previous posts.

Brass; I tried a little test with my 6.5 Grendel a few weeks ago. I have never liked Federal brass because my dad doesn't like it, but I now have my own reasons for not liking it.

I had found about 15 pieces of Federal brass at the range. So I treated them just like I would Hornady brass. Even started with 15 fresh pieces of each. I full length size, trim, chamfer the neck, clean the flash hole on all the cases.

I use a Hornady powder thrower to get close. Trickle in the last few 10th...seat my bullet to maximum mag length.

Remember, these were reloaded to the exact powder weights. The velocity of both brands of brass were the same, but I had great SD (single digit) and ES (super low double digit) with the Hornady brass. But the even with nearly the exact same average. The Federal brass had triple numbers in both the SD and ES.

Both shot fine, but it was an eye opener with the two different brands of brass.
That scenario really indicates that you have inconsistent neck tension that is messing with your release pressure. That can be cured a variety of ways. It could be as simple as just a bushing change, or you really need to focus in on brass preparation. Possible remedies include annealing the brass, that is the first thing I would try. Followed by changing to a bushing that provides more, (or less) neck tension or even turning the necks.

Trnelson,
I did hold back a bit of information to save me from having a mile long post...

IMO; Federal brass must be thicker or have a different (larger) web in the head of the case. The powder charge I was using was a compressed load in Hornady brass. Well it was really compressed in the Federal brass.

I emptied the cases and tried different things to get the powder to settle better in the cases. That helped a little, but it was obviously going to have a higher percentage of compression.

Next (here is where I agree with you) I think Federal brass is a lot harder than Hornady brass. When seating bullets in the Federal brass there was a very noticeable amount of resistance pushing the bullet into the neck. Whether the brass is thicker (making the neck smaller) or just harder...I'm not sure.

Is this good or bad?

Could be good for longer brass life...anneal the neck to relieve some of the tension. Turn the neck and anneal to really get it right!

My thoughts...way too much Hornady brass laying around at the range to bother with all the processes needed to use the Federal brass.

The cartridge is such a low pressure cartridge that I don't feel the brass gets worked that much in the first place. In my year and a half...I have roughly 10 to 12 loadings before brass failure. That's one reason I have over 500 pieces of Hornady or S & B brass at home. There is very little wear-n-tear on the brass compared to medium to large bolt guns.

I'm happy with the MOA accuracy I get to 600yds with my Hornady brass. I will never try a deer past 200yds any way. Not that I don't trust the accuracy, I don't trust the velocity to make the bullet "work" the way I want it too!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.