338RUM Extreme Spread

chronic

In my new RUM I am shooting 300g Bergers, with Retumbo.

Some Data with 5 shot groups:
CW ES SD ave fps
88.8 25 11 2750
89.0 26 10 2746
89.2 26 10 2751

This is a definite node in my charge weights graphs.

My plan is to shoot some extreme distance, 1500 yds plus. Is this ES low enough for that kind of distance? Not a real good quantitative question! I know depends on target size.

I am running out of options to try for ES reduction.

Brass is Nosler Custom, all this data was collected with virgin brass. My next loads can be with annealed brass, I have some of each. I have not touched bullet seating depth or neck turning. (I hate neck turning)

Any input would be great.

Chronic

In my new RUM I am shooting 300g Bergers, with Retumbo.

Some Data with 5 shot groups:
CW ES SD ave fps
88.8 25 11 2750
89.0 26 10 2746
89.2 26 10 2751

This is a definite node in my charge weights graphs.

My plan is to shoot some extreme distance, 1500 yds plus. Is this ES low enough for that kind of distance? Not a real good quantitative question! I know depends on target size.

I am running out of options to try for ES reduction.

Brass is Nosler Custom, all this data was collected with virgin brass. My next loads can be with annealed brass, I have some of each. I have not touched bullet seating depth or neck turning. (I hate neck turning)

Any input would be great.

Chronic

Any time you can get SDs under 15 it is a good number. I like the single digits when I can get them
anything under 7 is a great number and with good loads you can sometimes achieve SDs of 3 or 4.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.