Epoxy bedding leaked into action screw hole...need advice!

Chowitt87

This is my first post although I have been reading around for years on the forum. My father passed away earlier this year and I inherited his gun collection. Here and there I have been cleaning things, modifying them, making them correct, updating and so on. The latest project is a Ruger American Predator that he bedded into a Boyd's stock. A time ago there was a sale on the stocks so I bought one and he bought one for each of our Americans. I bedded mine and it turned out good for my first go at it...his on the other hand not so much. Today I was going to disassemble and clean the rifle and noticed the front trigger guard screw stripped. After multiple attempts to remove it I broke the plastic trigger guard on purpose for better access to the screw. That's when i noticed the epoxy bedding was all the way up to under the trigger guard. I am assuming he didn't use the right release agent because it is stuck. Is there a way to remove a screw that is epoxied in? I rather not but I am not against cutting the stock to pieces to get it off, then worry about the action screw later.

I heated up some scope mount base screws after my previous gunsmith used red locktite. The heat didn't work so I hammered in larger torx bit's into the heads. I think the hammering in broke the locktite. But don't get too aggressive. I'd try the heat first with the soldering iron.

As a quicker alternative to a soldering iron, heat a short piece of steel rod of appropriate diameter held with vise grips red hot with a MAPP torch, then hold it against the screw head. Once you see some smoke the epoxy should be softened enough to remove the screw. If the epoxy got into the female threads, you'll want to re-tap the hole to clean it up.

I had this happen to me on one rifle. Go ahead and order a new screw. Then try cutting a slot like you already are planning on doing. If that doesn't work drill it out slowly and check frequently to see if it will release. When drilling it is going to generate heat to soften the epoxy. Don't forget to order a trigger guard at the same time