Action bedding with carbon particle epoxy

philip140

Hi everyone, I have a Boyd's laminate stock coming soon that I will be using to replace the tupperware stock on my Weatherby Vanguard .243.
Devcon, Marine-Tex and other popular bedding compounds are hard to source and expensive to buy in my neck of the woods here in Canada, so I am limited to JB Weld and slow cure epoxy mixed with short strand glass fibers, both of which I have had good luck with in the past. But I want to try something different.
So, I got to thinking, what if I used slow cure epoxy filled with carbon powder? This idea is not new since is has been used as a coating on boat hulls for impact and abrasion resistance before.
Am I on to something here or has this been tried before and failed? I'm sure I am not the first to think of this but I can't find any info on the web about using it for bedding purposes.
I don't know if it would have any benefit over steel particles, but I'm pretty sure it would have strength benefits over glass particles used in other glass bedding compounds just like carbon fiber is stronger than fiberglass.

Has anybody got and thoughts on this or know of anyone who has tried this before?

Thanks all.

Phil

Last edited:
I think that Score-Hi's ProBed 2000 uses carbon fiber in their epoxy. As long as it has good compression characteristics it should work. One of the main reasons the filler stuff is in there is to reduce the actual epoxy which eliminates some of the shrinkage issues. Of course adding some structural strength is nice too. :)

When blending, give it a bit of time to "air out".
I've bedded several with fine Carbon maybe add a bit of short glas.
Will save a bit of weight compared to metall filled epoxy.

For me the advantage is that I can use the same base epoxy as I use
to make the stock. Oven curing is at the same temp.

edi

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.