Entry Level Scope Recommendation

My son-in-law has just picked up a Ruger American. It is in 308 and he's wanting to do some deer hunting with us this fall. I would like to buy him an entry-level scope but don't really know what that market looks like right now. I've seen companies like Athlon, Hawke, Riton etc. But I just don't know what this entry level market really offers these days. Any recommendations? I'm thinking something simple like a 3–9x40.
I have a Zeiss Terra 3X9 in like new condition I will part with if interested. Great scope and glass for the price point. Just sitting in the closet.

Splurge and get a Leupold VX3HD 3.5-10x40. I have had several of those (of different series) since the 80's. Can't ask for a better scope for general hunting. Can be bought for $400

My son-in-law has just picked up a Ruger American. It is in 308 and he's wanting to do some deer hunting with us this fall. I would like to buy him an entry-level scope but don't really know what that market looks like right now. I've seen companies like Athlon, Hawke, Riton etc. But I just don't know what this entry level market really offers these days. Any recommendations? I'm thinking something simple like a 3–9x40.
CRY ONCE, is the saying. Buying cheap optics, is just that, buying cheap optics. Don't forget companies like Vortex and Leupold give Mil/LE/FR discounts. Sport Optics dot com, I highly recommend, and they will give you the Vortex discount if applicable and free shipping.
For deep woods deer hunting a 1.5x5 is a good choice, but harder for a non shooter to zero at 100 yards. A 3x9x40 is a good choice for close range to 500 yards. I don't recommend Athlon, have had to send back a Ares ETR and Midas BTR that wouldn't hold zero. Hawke and Riton are in the same quality range. I've also gotten 2 bad new SWFA scopes, but never had a good one go bad. I would recommend a Vortex or Leupold. And I recommend a mil or moa reticle over a bdc, get parallax adj/side focus, first focal plane, illumination. But if 100 yards is all you want to shoot a duplex will work in a second focal plane scope.

The ironclad warranty of Leupold is hard to beat, they repair or replace forever, and turnaround has always been around seven days for me. I own several, and probably won't buy anything else ever again. I own a couple of NF, but Leupold makes scopes like you're talking about up to high end, and they do the job well. I have a 4x on an old Savage 99 in 308, up to a Mark IV tactical scope, check them out before you buy. Best of luck on the deer hunting.

For a 100 yard deep woods scope. You can shoot further obviously, but if most shots are 50 to 100, this low power scope would be good.

Just a quick call out.....watch the eye relief on entry level scopes. Many are 3.5" or less. Getting bit by a scope isn't fun. I like 4" of eye relief which is why I don't buy Burris scopes....even though they make a quality product.

Be best to give a price range, entry level to me is $200 to $400.
Yeah. My entry level, for myself anyway, is about $1500...for a used scope...

Also depends on WHERE you hunt/shoot. If you are out west, where shots 300-500+ can be common, I would go a bit higher magnification than a 3-9×40, and definitely a bit higher quality than a Tasco.

I would suggest looking for a used scope that was in the $500-600 range when new. I would be looking at a 3-12x, 3-15x range of variable power. As much as I hate recommending these, Leupold & Vortex are going to be easiest to find.

I would definitely get the Diamondback HP at Midway. Despite the Diamondback name it has Viper glass but is in a 1" tube vs 30mm.
I've bought 8 of them over the last 2 years. Best you can buy for $199

I am going to add to the pile for the leupold vx3hd in an appropriate magnification. I like the 2-8 and the 3.5-10 for what you describe. One thing folks don't talk about much is the form factor between these scopes. I think your eye relief/mounting location options would be limited with any long action with the 2-8 scope. More room for the rings on the 3.5-10. I looked through both side by side and chose the 3.5-10 for a 0-300 yard coyote calling rifle, to my eyes the field of view at low power was **** close, and a little extra power when needed is nice.

Also, I would either make sure I bought something with either capped turrets or zero locking turrets. I had two instances last year where a scope got turned off zero. Checked it when I left the truck and it got turned by rubbing on my pack and I didn't catch it.

You could just get something like this. I
If don't want the CDS you can get this.

There are a lot of scopes in that price range and maybe a tad more that have a lot more features. I got rid of all of the scopes that I had that were more "entry-level" a few years ago. I would really consider buying a little bit better scope that he could grow into a little bit.

Check out Midways deals in Vortex Diamond backs. I have recently bought a couple and have other . my spotting scope is a diamondback. we could see bullet holes at 530.Yards with. they have 3x12 and 4x16s marked down alot.
I believe the 4x16 was $479 for 199 and the 3x12 was $349 for 199. pretty fair glass for the money.

There are lots of good options.

check the classifieds here or locally, sometimes you can get a good buy from someone that is upgrading.

On midway currently, I would consider this one, I have one of these on a rifle and like it. Maybe a little more scope than he needs at the moment but the price is good.
I just put one one my .308 pretty nice and comes with a 4" sun shade