Entry Level Scope Recommendation

Bominiscious

My son-in-law has just picked up a Ruger American. It is in 308 and he's wanting to do some deer hunting with us this fall. I would like to buy him an entry-level scope but don't really know what that market looks like right now. I've seen companies like Athlon, Hawke, Riton etc. But I just don't know what this entry level market really offers these days. Any recommendations? I'm thinking something simple like a 3–9x40.

Be best to give a price range, entry level to me is $200 to $400, in that range I'd look at a Burris E1 4.5-14x42 or an Arken EPL4 4-16x44.
Good call. I was hoping $200-$300 and second focal plane for a new shooter. No dialing —just straightforward. My first ever scope was an old Vari-X II and I think I gave $185 for that one back in the 90's.

Something that I can mount in some talleys, zero and give him to head to the range and hunting blind. Shots will be 200 yards and closer.

There are lots of good options.

check the classifieds here or locally, sometimes you can get a good buy from someone that is upgrading.

On midway currently, I would consider this one, I have one of these on a rifle and like it. Maybe a little more scope than he needs at the moment but the price is good.

Attachments

• IMG_0470.png
    IMG_0470.png
    56.6 KB · Views: 80
I have the Burris scope I mentioned and it's clear, very usable, basic, and does have the side focus (paralax adjustment) which I reccommend, I think Amazon has then for under $200.
I second the Burris 4.5-14 suggestion, I have them on several of my budget rigs. I prefer the LR MOA reticle option. Great scopes for the $ and can be acquired on eBay for under $200.

Just another vote for the Diamondback. If you want SFP that's fine, but if you're like me and are a buy once cry once kind of person… buy a Diamondback tactical in Mil and FFP. It's a couple hundred more and you won't regret it in the long run. You don't have to dial if you don't want to, but when he's ready to upgrade rifles and learn about ballistics, he will already have the scope